- The Genesis Invitational from famed Riviera Country Club tees off Thursday, February 18th
- Dustin Johnson is the +550 favorite to win over Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas and Rory McIlroy
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
After Daniel Berger put together a phenomenal round to close out a win at Pebble Beach on Sunday, the Tour heads down the Pacific Coast highway for this week’s Genesis Invitational, hosted by Tiger Woods. While the 15-time major champion is unable to tee it up due to injury, eight of the top-ten ranked players in the world are competing.
Dustin Johnson – who wound up withdrawing from last week’s event – headlines the field as the heavy +550 favorite, having won four of his last eight worldwide starts. Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas and Rory McIlroy all are tied for the second shortest odds to earn the trophy at famed Riviera CC in Pacific Palisades.
Winning this prestigious invitational event is even more lucrative than most Tour stops, as it carries with it a three-year exemption as opposed to the customary two, and the winner in a field of 120 golfers (as opposed to the normal 156) will receive $1.67 million dollars.
2021 Genesis Invitational Odds
Odds taken February 16th from FanDuel
Can Dustin Johnson Be Defeated?
Normally, any player who sports such low +550 odds to win outright doesn’t offer much value and therefore the advice would likely be to not wager on them, especially against such an elite field – but Johnson is anything but normal. In his last ten starts, he has four victories, three runner-ups and T-6, T-11, T-12 showings.
He’s also tasted success at Riviera, having won in 2017, and has also placed second twice, in 2014 and 2015 – in which he lost in a playoff. In his last seven appearances at this track, his worst showing has been a tie for 16th.
Even Dustin Johnson 'fats it' sometimes…
— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) February 6, 2021
He’s coming off a win at the Saudi International in his most recent event and is rested having withdrawn from Pebble Beach at the last minute. In the last 24 rounds on this track, DJ is first in total strokes gained, tee-to-green, short game and approach. Suffice to say, the only credible reason to suggest not wagering on him would be his low +550 odds, but do so at your own peril.
Last Five Genesis Invitational Winners
|2020||Adam Scott (-11) two shot win|
|2019||J.B. Holmes (-14) one shot win|
|2018||Bubba Watson (-12) two shot win|
|2017||Dustin Johnson (-17) five shot win|
|2016||Bubba Watson (-15) one shot win|
Genesis Invitational Best Value Picks
- Jordan Spieth (+4000): After seemingly being lost with his game, Spieth has entered the final round in Phoenix and at Pebble Beach with leads the last two weeks, where he eventually finished T-4 at the Waste Management and T-3 on Sunday. A pair of top-10’s at this tournament, with a T-4 in 2015 is his best result.
- Bubba Watson (+4300): Fantastic odds for a player who loves Riviera, having earned the trophy in 2014, 2016 and 2018. Just one missed cut in last ten starts, with six top-25 finishes. Second in strokes gained tee-to-green and fourth in ball striking at this track in last 24 rounds.
- Max Homa (+6000): Playing inspired golf in his last five starts, with four times being inside the Top 25. Was in contention early in the final round at Pebble Beach before settling for a T-7 showing. Co-led at the American Express through 54 holes last month. T-5th last year at this tournament.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.