- Three-time PGA Tour-winner Brendan Steele leads the Honda Classic heading into round three
- A bunched up leaderboard offers plenty of golfers a chance to win the 2020 tournament
- See the updated live odds at the Honda Classic heading into the weekend
The Honda Classic has a reputation as a very stern test, with tight leaderboards and plenty of carnage over the “bear trap” on holes 15-17. Through two rounds, this year’s tournament has not disappointed. Brendan Steele, who lost in a playoff earlier this season at the Sony Open, holds a slim one-shot lead with a pair of 2019 major champions lurking and ready to pounce.
Tommy Fleetwood (-2) was the pre-tournament favorite to win, and he finds himself as the current co-favorite along with Gary Woodland (-3). Brooks Koepka, who was a top contender before the tourney, is packing his bags as is fellow pre-tournament favorite Rickie Fowler.
Live Honda Classic Odds
|Golfer||Score||Odds to Win||3rd-Round Leader Odds|
Odds last updated upon the conclusion of round two (Feb. 28th, 6:55 PM ET).
Brendan Steele Not a Proven Front-Runner
Brendan Steele has had one incredibly confusing season. He very nearly notched his fourth career victory, but blew a three-shot lead after 54 holes at the Sony Open before losing in a playoff.
In his nine other events, there’s been nothing to write home about. His best finish is a 29th-place result and he’s missed four cuts.
Brendan Steele just came THIS close to an ace at the Honda Classic. 😳pic.twitter.com/mmZ5uQCZ8z
— Golf Digest (@GolfDigest) February 28, 2020
He was robbed of an incredible ace at the 15th on Friday, which was a rarity on this track for him, as he’s played the “bear trap” holes at 26 over par in 31 prior rounds.
With his spotty track record this season and his previous bad history down the stretch of this course, it’s hard to put a lot of faith in him. In his career, Steele is just 1-for-7 in converting 36 leads/co-leads into victories. At +700 odds, I’d steer clear of wagering on him.
US Open Champ Gary Woodland the Man to Beat
Since winning the US Open at Pebble Beach, Gary Woodland has typically gone quietly about his way, posting some solid results despite no other victories. He’s had three top-7 finishes this season since capturing his first major, and has had success on this track, finishing runner-up in 2017.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) February 28, 2020
Woodland will begin the third round two shots back, which realistically puts him in the driver’s seat to collect his third victory in as many years.
This week, he’s gained over nine strokes on the field tee-to-green, good for first in that category. That will come in handy with winds expected to reach up to 15 miles per hour on Saturday. Bet Woodland (+600) with confidence heading into moving day.
Last Five Honda Classic Winners
Best Live Value Picks at Honda Classic
- Shane Lowry (+1400): Just three back entering weekend. Plays difficult courses well, as evidenced by his 2019 Open Championship title. In last five events, has three top-13 results.
- Daniel Berger (+2800): We were bullish on his chances pre-event. Currently four back, he was runner-up in a playoff at this tourney in 2015. T-5th and T-9th in last two events on tour.
- Harold Varner III (+6600): Also four back, Varner was right in the thick of things in his last event, the Genesis Invitational. Good deep dive with upside at these long odds.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.