- The PGA Tour is set to return June 11-14th at the Charles Schwab Challenge
- First official event in three months has resulted in a much stronger field than usual at Colonial
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious and provided the best value bets below
Ever since the first round of the Players Championship was completed in March, there have been no official tournaments on the schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but that is expected to change June 11-14th at the Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas.
There won’t be any fans in attendance watching the Charles Schwab Challenge, which certainly will be unusual for the players and for fans watching on television as well.
2020 Charles Schwab Challenge Odds
Odds taken May 29th
The top five players in the world golf rankings are expected to tee it up, with Rory McIlroy leading the way as the overwhelming +700 favorite to win his 19th career PGA Tour title.
This is a tournament that in recent years has struggled to attract many of the worlds best, so a lot of big names aren’t used to competing on this track and therefore might struggle with the nuances of the tight course.
McIlroy Was Playing Lights Out Prior to Tour Stoppage
Prior to the Coronavirus pandemic, nobody in the world of golf was playing at such a consistently high level as Rory McIlroy was, racking up seven straight top-five finishes, including his victory at the WGC-HSBC Champions. There’s no reason to expect the Ulsterman to let up when this event starts up, unless you subscribe to the theory that because he’s never competed at this tournament, he might not be as sharp.
Last 7 TOUR starts for @McIlroyRory:
The reigning Player of the Year hasn't skipped a beat in the new season. pic.twitter.com/IjviPHlzaN
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) May 28, 2020
With a stacked field, and low odds at +700, you can probably find better value on a number of other players competing, particularly because Rory hasn’t played at this tournament. It’s awfully hard to wager against him given how well he was playing before the tour stoppage, but the safer play is to refrain from betting on him.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) May 29, 2020
Last Five Charles Schwab Challenge Winners
2020 Charles Schwab Challenge Best Value Picks
- Webb Simpson (+2200): Has had success at this venue in the past, finishing T-3rd in 2016 and fifth in 2017. Won two starts ago at the Waste Management Phoenix Open during a span of four straight top-7 finishes (also had a runner-up, third place, and T-7th showing).
- Justin Rose (+4200): The champion at Colonial two years ago benefited from the three month break after uncharacteristically struggling in his four prior tourneys. Far too talented a player to be down for too long, and this is when you can get mega value on him at a track he won at in 2018.
- Phil Mickelson (+10000): Longshot odds with incredible potential upside. Lefty has won this tournament twice (2000, 2008), and had started to see a marked improvement in his game before the break following the worst slump of his career, with a pair of third place results at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am and the European Tour’s Saudi International.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.