- Justin Thomas returns to defend his Honda Classic crown
- Adam Scott is poised to return to the winners’ circle
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious at the 2019 Honda Classic
The past three champions at the famed PGA National Golf Club return as three of the top four favorites to win the 2019 Honda Classic. All eyes will be on Justin Thomas, Rickie Fowler, and Adam Scott when they tee it up this week in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
There aren’t many huge names competing apart from them offering middle-tier players an opportunity to add to their trophy collection. They’ll have to contend with the always challenging “Bear Trap” (holes 15-17) down the stretch, which has sunk many players’ chances over the years.
2019 Honda Classic Odds
|Golfer||Odds to Win 2019 Honda Classic at Bovada||Odds to Win 2019 Honda Classic at BetOnline|
*Odds taken 02/26/19. Follow the link in the table above to see all options.
Justin Thomas the Heavy Favorite at Honda Classic
If it feels like Justin Thomas has been doing everything but winning you’d be correct – he’s 0-for his last 12 events, yet he has eight top-10’s during that span.
Justin Thomas, shank you very much. pic.twitter.com/MA8bLdCeDl
— SwingU (@swinguapp) February 17, 2019
In his last five tournaments he has three top three finishes and finished ninth in the WGC-Mexico last week following a scintillating final round 62. But given that he’s a very strong favorite offering little in the way of value, I’d be inclined to pass on him since he’s been finding it difficult to close out events recently.
Last 5 Honda Classic Winners
Adam Scott Poised for First Win in 3 Years
The 2016 Honda Classic champ has had two golden opportunities to taste victory in his last three events – finishing runner-up to Justin Rose at Torrey Pines, and he let a great chance at victory at Riviera slip through his fingers with a dreadful putting performance on Sunday.
Two weeks, two wins.#TBT to Titleist Brand Ambassador, Adam Scott, completing back-to-back PGA Tour victories at the 2016 WGC-Cadillac Championship. He won the Honda Classic a week prior.#ProvingIt pic.twitter.com/1t0cGhvyGg
— Titleist Europe (@TitleistEurope) February 21, 2019
It’s hard to believe after winning in back-to-backs weeks at Honda and the WGC-Cadillac Championship in 2016 he’d be winless on tour since. That has to change very soon and this week is as good a time as any.
Adam Scott’s last 4 Honda Classics
*Scott did not compete in 2015 Honda Classic
Aside from his miserable day on the greens at the Genesis Open, he’s been putting much better than in previous years ranking 18th in strokes gained-putting on the campaign. With a strong track record around this course and his recent fine form, bet Scott with confidence this week.
2019 Honda Classic Best Value Picks
- Daniel Berger (+4000): Coming off a tie for second last week in Puerto Rico. Also finished runner-up in this event in a playoff four years ago.
- Michael Thompson (+5000): Lone PGA Tour victory came here in 2013 but he’s been on fire with four straight top-13 results.
- Russell Henley (+8000): 2014 champion of this tournament runs hot and cold. Currently having an average year but these odds are enticing for a boom-or-bust type.
- Harold Varner III (+12500): Classic dart throw with serious upside. Still in search of his maiden victory on tour but he’s been in the top-23 six times out of nine events this season.