2020 NFL Defensive Player of the Year Odds Tracker
- Get the current odds to win the NFL’s 2020 Defensive Player of the Year award
- Aaron Donald opened as the favorite and remains the clear favorite
- See how the DPOY odds have changed throughout the season
The AP has handed out a Defensive Player of the Year award every year since 1971. We’ve been tracking the 2020 NFL DPOY odds since they opened and will continue to do so all season. We average the odds from multiple sportsbooks and track the movement, removing the influence of money and providing you with each defender’s true odds of winning the award.
NFL DPOY Odds for Top Contenders
- [September 22] Nick Bosa was tied for the second-best average DPOY odds before suffering what’s likely a season-ending knee injury in Week 2; Khalil Mack now sits behind Aaron Donald on the odds board
- [September 15] After recording a sack in Week 1, Joey Bosa has entered the top five DPOY contenders; Chase Young also saw significant DPOY odds movement after posting 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble in his NFL debut, moving from +4600 to +2900
- [September 9] A couple top ten DPOY contenders have gone down to injury in Von Miller and Derwin James; Chandler Jones and Jamal Adams have taken their place among the top ten in DPOY odds
- [August 21] Now a member of the Seahawks, Jamal Adams has seen his DPOY odds improve from +3300 to +2525, the 13th-best odds in the NFL
- [June 12] Myles Garrett has seen his DPOY odds shorten from +2625 to +2200, leaving him just outside of the top ten contenders
- [March 27] Although he didn’t win the award last season, Aaron Donald has opened as the favorite to win NFL DPOY for the second straight season
Odds to Win NFL DPOY
|Player||Pos||Team||Odds to win 2020 NFL DPOY|
*Odds taken September 22
Top Contenders by Position
Despite seeing so many edge players listed with short odds to win the award, only two true edge players have won DPOY in the last ten years: Khalil Mack (2016) and Terrell Suggs (2011).
DPOY Winners by Position
|Position||DPOY Awards in Last 10 Years||Total DPOY Awards Won|
Odds for Past Winners
JJ Watt and Aaron Donald have accounted for four of the last six Defensive Player of the Year winners, and five of the last eight. Terrell Suggs is the only active player to win DPOY and not have odds to win the 2020 award.
Last 5 DPOY Winners
|2018||Aaron Donald||DT||20.5 (1st)|
|2017||Aaron Donald||DT||11 (T-11th)|
|2016||Khalil Mack||EDGE||11 (T-8th)|
|2015||JJ Watt||DL||17.5 (1st)|
The idea that the Defensive Player of the Year is generally the league-leader in sacks is a common misconception. Sacks are certainly seen as a sexy stat and play a role in the voting. But the sack king has only won the award twice in the last seven seasons.
Shaquil Barrett led the NFL in 2019 with 19.5 sacks, Chandler Jones led the way with 17 in 2017, Vic Beasley Jr with 15.5 in 2016, and Justin Houston posted a league-high 22 in 2014, yet none of them took home DPOY honors.
Archived DPOY odds: 2019