2019 NFL Defensive Player of the Year Odds Tracker
- Get the current odds to win the NFL’s 2019 Defensive Player of the Year award
- See how the DPOY odds have changed throughout the season
- Compare each player to others at their position, players trending in the same direction, or isolate each
The AP has handed out a Defensive Player of the Year award every year since 1971. We’ve been tracking the 2019 NFL DPOY odds since they opened on July 27.
Instead of just providing the current odds at one source, however, we average the odds from multiple sportsbooks and track their movement, removing the influence of money and providing you with each defender’s true odds of winning the award.
NFL DPOY Odds for Top Contenders
- [September 11] Despite being rather invisible in Week 1, Von Miller’s DPOY odds have improved from +1100 to +800
- [September 5] Myles Garrett’s odds continue to shorten, now landing at an average of +800, good for third-best odds
- [August 19] Over the last 2.5 weeks, Myles Garrett has seen his DPOY odds shorten from +2200 to +1300, resulting in him leaping Joey Bosa for a spot in the top five
- [July 31] After opening as a top ten contender, Chandler Jones saw his odds slip from +3300 to +3900, removing him from the top ten
- [July 27] Back-to-back DPOY winner Aaron Donald has opened as the favorite to win the award again in 2019
Odds at Bovada
|Player||Pos||Team||Odds to win 2019 NFL DPOY at Bovada|
*Odds taken September 11; Follow the link in the table for more DPOY betting options
Top Contenders by Position
Despite seeing so many edge players listed with short odds to win the award, only two true edge players have won DPOY in the last ten years: Khalil Mack (2016) and Terrell Suggs (2011).
DPOY Winners by Position
|Position||DPOY Awards in Last 10 Years||Total DPOY Awards Won|
Odds for Past Winners
JJ Watt and Aaron Donald have accounted for four of the last five Defensive Player of the Year winners, and five of the last seven. Terrell Suggs is the only active player to win DPOY and not have odds to win the 2019 award.
Last 5 DPOY Winners
|2018||Aaron Donald||DT||20.5 (1st)|
|2017||Aaron Donald||DT||11 (T-11th)|
|2016||Khalil Mack||EDGE||11 (T-8th)|
|2015||JJ Watt||DL||17.5 (1st)|
|2014||JJ Watt||DL||20.5 (2nd)|
The idea that the Defensive Player of the Year is generally the league-leader in sacks is a common misconception. Sacks are certainly seen as a sexy stat and play a role in the voting. But the sack king has only won the award twice in the last six seasons.
Chandler Jones led the NFL in sacks in 2017 with 17, Vic Beasley Jr led the league in 2016 with 15.5, and Justin Houston posted a league-high 22 in 2014.