2022 NFL Defensive Player of the Year Odds Tracker
- Get the current odds to win the NFL’s 2022-23 Defensive Player of the Year award
- Myles Garrett opened as the favorite to win NFL DPOY, but Aaron Donald and TJ Watt have taken over as co-favorites
- Track how the DPOY change throughout the 2022-23 NFL season
The AP has handed out a Defensive Player of the Year award every year since 1971. We’ve been tracking the 2022-23 NFL DPOY odds since they opened and will continue to do so all season. We average the odds from multiple sportsbooks and track the movement, removing the influence of money and providing you with each defender’s true odds of winning the award.
NFL DPOY Odds for Top Contenders
The top of the odds board for NFL DPOY odds doesn’t see any surprises. Aaron Donald, a three-time winner, TJ Watt, the reigning DPOY, and Myles Garrett, arguably the best athlete in the league, sit in a tier of their own at the top.
Most online sportsbooks list Aaron Donald and TJ Watt as the co-favorites to win NFL Defensive Player of the Year right now. However, FanDuel Sportsbook still lists Myles Garrett as their favorite at +600 odds. If you do like Garrett to win, take his +750 odds available to Caesars Sportsbook.
DraftKings Sportsbook currently lists all of Donald, Watt, and Garrett as co-favorites at +700 odds.
Odds to Win NFL DPOY
|Player||Pos||Team||Odds to win 2021 NFL DPOY|
*Odds as of April 6 at Caesars Sportsbook. If you’re not already signed up, be sure you claim the best Caesars Sportsbook promo before registering.
TJ Watt and Aaron Donald are currently listed as the favorites at Caesars Sportsbook. If you bet $100 on either of them, you would win $700 and return $800 if they win the honor. The implied probability, based off their odds, to win the award is 12.5% each. This means the sportsbook believes there is a 25% chance one of the two wins the award.
Here are some notes on the NFL DPOY odds movement:
- [April 6] Aaron Donald and TJ Watt have overtaken Myles Garrett atop the NFL DPOY odds, as the two are listed as the co-favorites to win the award at +700 odds.
- [March 25] Myles Garrett has opened as the favorite to win the 2022-23 NFL Defensive Player of the Year award. The reigning DPOY, TJ Watt, has opened at +700 odds, just behind Garrett at +650. Micah Parsons, who was given +20000 odds to win last year’s award heading into Week 1 but saw himself listed as the co-favorite in late-December, has opened this year at +1000 odds.
Top Contenders by Position
Despite seeing so many edge players listed with short odds to win the award, only three true edge players have won DPOY in the last 13 years: TJ Watt (2021), Khalil Mack (2016), and Terrell Suggs (2011).
DPOY Winners by Position
|Position||DPOY Awards in Last 10 Years||Total DPOY Awards Won|
Odds for Past Winners
JJ Watt and Aaron Donald have accounted for six of the last ten Defensive Player of the Year winners, and five of the last seven. There are only three other active players who have won the award: TJ Watt (2021), Stephon Gilmore (2019), and Khalil Mack (2016).
Past DPOY Winners
The idea that the Defensive Player of the Year is generally the league-leader in sacks is a common misconception. Sacks are certainly seen as a sexy stat and play a role in the voting. But the sack king has only won the award three times in the last nine seasons: TJ Watt in 2021, Aaron Donald in 2018, and JJ Watt in 2015.
TJ Watt racked up the most sacks in 2020 as well, but did not win DPOY for it. Shaquil Barrett led the NFL in sacks in 2019, Chandler Jones led the way in 2017, Vic Beasley Jr in 2016, Justin Houston in 2014, and Robert Mathis in 2013. Yet, none of them took home DPOY honors.