2022 Norris Trophy Odds Tracker
- Who are the top contenders for the 2022 NHL Norris Trophy?
- Cale Makar is the odds-on favorite to win this year’s award
- Track, visualize, and interact with a player’s odds as they get longer and shorter throughout the 2021-22 NHL season
The James Norris Memorial Trophy (known as the Norris Trophy) is given every year to the defenseman that exhibits the best all-around ability at his position. Colorado online sports bettors are sure thrilled to see their bright young star Cale Makar listed as the favorite to win Defenseman of the Year. Last year’s winner, Adam Fox, is the third betting favorite.
We’ll be tracking odds on the top Norris Candidates available at sportsbooks all season long, providing you with comprehensive coverage on how futures odds fluctuate for different defensemen around the league.
2022 Norris Trophy Top Contenders
- [May 9]: Victor Hedman, Roman Josi, and Cale Makar were announced today as finalists for the 2022 Norris Memorial Trophy. At the end of the regular season, Makar was getting the best average odds to win (-303), ahead of Josi (+250) and Hedman (+1000).
- [Apr 5]: Makar is still the favorite to capture his first Norris Trophy, but Roman Josi has closed the gap considerably. The average odds for the Predators’ captain moved from +1750 to +240 following a March where he recorded points in 13 of 14 games.
- [Mar 10]: Cale Makar is a resounding favorite to win league’s top defenseman. At this point in March, he is the odds-on favorite listed at -286 at Barstool Sportsbook.
- [Feb 7]: The Norris Trophy favorite continues to rise, as Cale Makar’s odds continue to improve. Hedman is now the second betting favorite, ahead of last year’s winner Adam Fox.
- [Jan 13]: Cale Makar can’t stay out of the recent Sportscentre Top 10 with how well he’s been playing. His Norris odds reflect that, as he is now the favorite to win at just less than 2-1 odds.
- [Dec 21]: Adam Fox and Cale Makar are now co-favored to win the Norris Trophy. Makar has 26 points in 23 games, while Fox has 31 points in 30 games. Both defensemen are currently priced at +425 at DraftKings Sportsbook.
- [Dec 2]: Ekblad’s NHL odds continue to improve as does his offensive play. The Panthers’ defenseman leads all defenseman in points, however, Makar is still the favorite with 21 points in 23 games.
- [Oct 22]: Some of the biggest jumps this week in the Norris odds were Jared Spurgeon from +2450 to +2000 and Aaron Ekblad from +1750 to +1550.
- [Oct 4]: Makar’s odds have already started to improve before the season has even started. The Avalanche defenseman’s average odds have dropped to +350, making him an even bigger favorite.
- [July 14]: Cale Makar has opened as the favorite to win the 2022 Norris Trophy. Last year’s winner Adam Fox is listed as the second favorite alongside Victor Hedman at +600.
2022 Norris Trophy Odds
|Cale Makar (Avalanche)||-225|
|Roman Josi (Predators)||+200|
|Victor Hedman (Lightning)||+1100|
|Adam Fox (Rangers)||+5000|
|John Carlson (Capitals)||+8000|
|Devon Toews (Avalanche)||+8000|
|Aaron Ekblad (Panthers)||+10000|
|Miro Heiskanen (Stars)||+10000|
|Charlie McAvoy (Bruins)||+10000|
|Quinn Hughes (Canucks)||+15000|
|Seth Jones (Blackhawks)||+15000|
|Kris Letang (Penguins)||+15000|
|Morgan Rielly (Maple Leafs)||+15000|
|Jaccob Slavin (Hurricanes)||+15000|
|Rasmus Dahlin (Sabres)||+20000|
|Moritz Seider (Red Wings)||+20000|
|MacKenzie Weegar (Panthers)||+20000|
Odds as of April 5th at Barstool Sportsbook App
Trends to Consider
- It’s essential that a defenseman not miss anytime to injury. In the last 10 years, the most games missed by a Norris Trophy winner was six, when PK Subban sat out the first games of the 2012-2013 season in a contract holdout.
- Players essentially need to be on playoff teams to win the Norris. However, the 2021 award winner broke the trend. Adam Fox was the first Norris Trophy winner on a non-playoff team since the award’s inception in 1954.
- It isn’t an offense-only award. If a defenseman is going to win the Norris, they need to demonstrate an ability (both via the eye test and with quantitative metrics) to play at an elite level in all facets of the game. This includes the power play, the penalty kill, and even-strength play.
2022 Norris Trophy Odds for Previous Winners
Out of the previous winners, Victor Hedman opened with the best odds to win the 2022 Norris Trophy at +600. The previous winner with the next best odds would be Roman Josi at +1500.
Last 10 Award Winners
|2020-21||Adam Fox (New York Rangers)||55 (COVID-19 Shortened Season)||5||42||47||22|
|2019-20||Roman Josi (Nashville Predators)||52 (COVID-19-Shortened Season)||16||49||65||30|
|2018-19||Mark Giordano (Calgary Flames)||78||17||57||74||35|
|2017-18||Victor Hedman (Tampa Bay Lightning)||77||17||46||63||27|
|2016-17||Brent Burns (San Jose Sharks)||82||29||47||76||31|
|2015-16||Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings)||82||14||37||51||26|
|2014-15||Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators)||82||21||45||66||24|
|2013-14||Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks)||79||6||55||61||30|
|2012-13||PK Subban (Montreal Canadiens)||42 (Lockout-Shortened Season)||11||27||38||23|
|2011-12||Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators)||81||19||59||78||21|
The median age of Norris winners in the last ten years is approximately 27. Adam Fox won the 2021 Norris Trophy at the age of 22, which is the youngest winner since Erik Karlsson won at the age of 21 in 2012.
Players with Multiple Norris Trophies
Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, and Nicklas Lidstrom are commonly regarded as not only some of the best defensemen to ever play in the league but also some of the best players to ever play the game. This is reflected in their absurd Norris Trophy totals.
Nicklas Lidstrom’s career was especially remarkable, as he never missed the playoffs once in his 20 season career. His durability was equally remarkable, as prior to missing 12 games in his final season at the age of 41, the most regular season games he had missed in a season was 6. In total, he played a total of 1564 regular season games, on top of 263 playoff games.