2020 Norris Trophy Odds Tracker
- Who are the top contenders for the 2020 NHL Norris Trophy?
- Look at odds for individual players, plus additional league and conference-specific trends from past years
- Track and with a player’s odds as they get longer and shorter throughout the 2019-20 NHL season
The James Norris Memorial Trophy (known as the Norris Trophy) is given every year to the defenseman that exhibits the best all-around ability at his position.
We’ll be tracking odds on the top Norris Candidates available online sportsbook all season long, providing you with comprehensive coverage on how futures odds fluctuate for different defenseman around the league.
Odds for 2020 Norris Trophy Favorites
- Oct. 11: Morgan Rielly and Seth Jones have shot up to +1100, while Erik Karlsson fell from +600 to +900 during SJS’ slow start.
- Oct. 1: CBJ stalwart Seth Jones took the biggest leap upwards in the odds, going from +2000 to +1600.
- Sep. 23: Nashville’s Roman Josi (+2500 to +1800) has seen his odds improve the most since lines were first posted.
- Sep. 16: In a rare occurrence, the two early favorites for the 2020 Norris reside on the same team: San Jose’s Brent Burns (+450) and Erik Karlsson (+600).
Norris Trophy Odds at MyBookie
|Player||Odds at MyBookie (Oct. 11, 2019)|
|Brent Burns (Sharks)||+500|
|Victor Hedman (Lightning)||+600|
|John Carlson (Capitals)||+900|
|Erik Karlsson (Sharks)||+900|
|Seth Jones (Blue Jackets)||+1100|
|Morgan Rielly (Leafs)||+1100|
|Mark Giordano (Flames)||+1200|
|John Klingberg (Stars)||+1200|
|Roman Josi (Predators)||+1200|
|Kris Letang (Penguins)||+1400|
|PK Subban (Devils)||+1400|
|Alex Pietrangelo (Blues)||+2000|
|Thomas Chabot (Senators)||+2200|
|Drew Doughty (Kings)||+2800|
|Torey Krug (Bruins)||+2800|
NHL Norris Trophy Trends to Consider
- It’s essential that a defenseman not miss anytime to injury. In the last 10 years, the most games missed by a Norris Trophy winner was six, when PK Subban sat out the first games of the 2012-2013 season in a contract holdout.
- Players essentially need to be on playoff teams to win the Norris. No player has ever won the Norris on a non-playoff team, dating back to the award’s inception in 1954.
- It isn’t an offense-only award. If a defenseman is going to win the Norris, they need to demonstrate an ability (both via the eye test and with quantitative metrics) to play at an elite level in all facets of the game. This includes the power play, the penalty kill, and even-strength play.
2020 Norris Trophy Odds for Previous Winners
Somewhat unsurprisingly, the top-six favorites for the 2020 Norris have all won the award before.
2020 Norris Trophy Odds for Western Conference Players
Once again, the Norris favorites come from the Western Conference. The top-two favorites and five of the top seven all reside in the West.
2020 Norris Trophy Odds for Eastern Conference Players
Don’t buy into the PK Subban hype. Victor Hedman has by far the best chance to win this award among players in the East.
Last 10 Norris Trophy Winners
|2018-2019||Mark Giordano (Calgary Flames)||78||17||57||74||35|
|2017-2018||Victor Hedman (Tampa Bay Lightning)||77||17||46||63||27|
|2016-2017||Brent Burns (San Jose Sharks)||82||29||47||76||31|
|2015-2016||Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings)||82||14||37||51||26|
|2014-2015||Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators)||82||21||45||66||24|
|2013-2014||Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks)||79||6||55||61||30|
|2012-2013||PK Subban (Montreal Canadiens)||42 (Lockout-Shortened Season)||11||27||38||23|
|2011-2012||Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators)||81||19||59||78||21|
|2010-2011||Nicklas Lidstrom (Detroit Red Wings)||82||16||46||62||40|
|2009-2010||Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks)||82||14||55||69||26|
The median age of Norris winners in the last ten years is a little over 28. The youngest winner over the previous ten years was Erik Karlsson, who was only 21 when he won the Norris in his third NHL season.
Players with Multiple Norris Trophies
Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, and Nicklas Lidstrom are commonly regarded as not only some of the best defenseman to ever play in the league but also some of the best players to ever play the game. This is reflected in their absurd Norris Trophy totals.
Nicklas Lidstrom’s career was especially remarkable, as he never missed the playoffs once in his 20 season career. His durability was equally remarkable, as prior to missing 12 games in his final season at the age of 41, the most regular season games he had missed in a season was 6. In total, he played a total of 1564 regular season games, on top of 263 playoff games.
Archived Norris Trophy odds: 2019