2023 Norris Trophy Odds Tracker
- Who are the top contenders for the 2023 NHL Norris Trophy?
- San Jose’s Erik Karlsson is the favorite to win this year’s award
- Track the odds movement for the NHL’s top defensemen throughout the 2022-23 season
The James Norris Memorial Trophy (known as the Norris Trophy) is given every year to the defenseman that exhibits the best all-around ability at his position. Age is just a number in this year’s Norris race, as 32-year-old San Jose Sharks defenseman Erik Karlsson is the favorite to win Defenseman of the Year for the third time in his career.
We’ll be tracking odds on the top Norris Candidates available at sportsbooks all season long, providing you with comprehensive coverage on how futures odds fluctuate for different defensemen around the league.
2023 Norris Trophy Top Contenders
- [April 13] Karlsson has become an even heavier favorite following the conclusion of the regular season. The 32-year-old has seen his odds shorten to -450 as he became the first d-man since Brian Leetch to record 100 points in a season.
- [ March 1] Karlsson’s odds have shortened to -210, giving the Sharks’ blueliner 68% implied probability to win the award. Adam Fox is the new second-favorite at +400, while Makar has faded to a +5000 longshot.
- [January 2] Erik Karlsson has overtaken Cale Makar as the favorite to win the Norris Trophy. Karlsson leads all NHL defensemen in scoring with 53 points in 39 games. The next defensive scoring leader is Morrissey with 42 points.
- [December 1] Winnipeg’s Josh Morrissey has been a big mover in the odds to win the Norris Trophy. Morrissey has been producing at a point-per-game rate this season, causing his odds to shorten to +2500 after opening at +15000.
- [November 7] Erik Karlsson’s Norris odds have shortened to +1200 as the Sharks’ blueliner has had a tremendous start to the season. Karlsson has scored 10 goals in his first 14 games, placing him among the NHL leaders.
- [July 18]: Cale Makar has opened as the repeat favorite to win the 2023 Norris Trophy. Last year’s runner-up Roman Josi is listed as the second favorite at +600, while 2022 Calder winner Moritz Seider is at +2500.
from Barstool Sportsbook!
2023 Norris Trophy Odds
|Erik Karlsson (Sharks)||-450|
|Dougie Hamilton (Devils)||+900|
|Adam Fox (Rangers)||+1000|
|Josh Morrissey (Jets)||+1000|
|Rasmus Dahlin (Sabres)||+4500|
|Cale Makar (Avalanche)||+4500|
|Charlie McAvoy (Bruins)||+6000|
|Hampus Lindholm (Bruins)||+8000|
|Quinn Hughes (Canucks)||+10000|
|Brent Burns (Hurricanes)||+15000|
|Miro Heiskanen (Stars)||+15000|
Odds as of April 13th at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Norris Trends to Consider
- It’s essential that a defenseman not miss anytime to injury. In the last 10 years, the most games missed by a Norris Trophy winner was six, when PK Subban sat out the first games of the 2012-2013 season in a contract holdout.
- Players essentially need to be on playoff teams to win the Norris. However, the 2021 award winner broke the trend. Adam Fox was the first Norris Trophy winner on a non-playoff team since the award’s inception in 1954.
- It isn’t an offense-only award. If a defenseman is going to win the Norris, they need to demonstrate an ability (both via the eye test and with quantitative metrics) to play at an elite level in all facets of the game. This includes the power play, the penalty kill, and even-strength play.
2023 Norris Trophy Odds for Previous Winners
Out of the previous winners, Cale Makar opened with the best odds to win the 2023 Norris Trophy at +200. The previous winner with the next best odds is Roman Josi at +600.
Last 10 Norris Trophy Winners
|2021-22||Cale Makar (Colorado Avalanche)||77||28||58||86||23|
|2020-21||Adam Fox (New York Rangers)||55 (COVID-19 Shortened Season)||5||42||47||22|
|2019-20||Roman Josi (Nashville Predators)||52 (COVID-19-Shortened Season)||16||49||65||30|
|2018-19||Mark Giordano (Calgary Flames)||78||17||57||74||35|
|2017-18||Victor Hedman (Tampa Bay Lightning)||77||17||46||63||27|
|2016-17||Brent Burns (San Jose Sharks)||82||29||47||76||31|
|2015-16||Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings)||82||14||37||51||26|
|2014-15||Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators)||82||21||45||66||24|
|2013-14||Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks)||79||6||55||61||30|
|2012-13||PK Subban (Montreal Canadiens)||42 (Lockout-Shortened Season)||11||27||38||23|
The median age of Norris winners in the last ten years is approximately 27. Adam Fox won the 2021 Norris Trophy at the age of 22, which is the youngest winner since Erik Karlsson won at the age of 21 in 2012.
Players with Multiple Norris Trophies
Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, and Nicklas Lidstrom are commonly regarded as not only some of the best defensemen to ever play in the league but also some of the best players to ever play the game. This is reflected in their absurd Norris Trophy totals.
Nicklas Lidstrom’s career was especially remarkable, as he never missed the playoffs once in his 20-season career. His durability was equally remarkable, as prior to missing 12 games in his final season at the age of 41, the most regular season games he had missed in a season was 6. In total, he played a total of 1564 regular season games, on top of 263 playoff games.
- DRAFTKINGS SPORTSBOOK
GET $1,050 IN BONUSES!
- CAESARS SPORTSBOOK
FIRST BET ON CAESARS UP TO $1,250 + 1,000 TIER CREDITS AND 1,000 REWARD CREDITS®
- FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK
NO SWEAT FIRST BET UP TO $1,000!
- BETMGM SPORTSBOOK
FIRST BET OFFER: UP TO $1,000 PAID BACK