2022 Norris Trophy Odds Tracker
- Who are the top contenders for the 2022 NHL Norris Trophy?
- Colorado Avalanche defenseman Cale Makar has opened as the favorite to win this year’s award
- Track and with a player’s odds as they get longer and shorter throughout the 2021-22 NHL season
The James Norris Memorial Trophy (known as the Norris Trophy) is given every year to the defenseman that exhibits the best all-around ability at his position.
We’ll be tracking odds on the top Norris Candidates available at sportsbooks all season long, providing you with comprehensive coverage on how futures odds fluctuate for different defensemen around the league.
2022 Norris Trophy Top Contenders
- [July 14]: Cale Makar has opened as the favorite to win the 2022 Norris Trophy. Last year’s winner Adam Fox is listed as the second favorite alongside Victor Hedman at +600.
2022 Norris Trophy Odds
|Player||Odds at DraftKings|
|Cale Makar (Avalanche)||+500|
|Adam Fox (Rangers)||+600|
|Victor Hedman (Lightning)||+600|
|Charlie McAvoy (Bruins)||+1200|
|Dougie Hamilton (Hurricanes)||+1200|
|Jaccob Slavin (Hurricanes)||+1500|
|Miro Heiskanen (Stars)||+1500|
|Quinn Hughes (Canucks)||+1500|
|Roman Josi (Predators)||+1500|
|Aaron Ekblad (Panthers)||+2000|
|Jared Spurgeon (Wild)||+2000|
|John Carlson (Capitals)||+2000|
|Morgan Rielly (Leafs)||+2000|
|Alex Pietrangelo (Golden Knights)||+2000|
|Ryan Pulock (Islanders)||+2000|
|Shea Theodore (Golden Knights)||+2000|
|Devon Toews (Avalanche)||+2500|
|Brent Burns (Sharks)||+3000|
|John Klingberg (Stars)||+3000|
|Kris Letang (Penguins)||+3000|
Odds as of July 14th
Trends to Consider
- It’s essential that a defenseman not miss anytime to injury. In the last 10 years, the most games missed by a Norris Trophy winner was six, when PK Subban sat out the first games of the 2012-2013 season in a contract holdout.
- Players essentially need to be on playoff teams to win the Norris. However, the 2021 award winner broke the trend. Adam Fox was the first Norris Trophy winner on a non-playoff team since the award’s inception in 1954.
- It isn’t an offense-only award. If a defenseman is going to win the Norris, they need to demonstrate an ability (both via the eye test and with quantitative metrics) to play at an elite level in all facets of the game. This includes the power play, the penalty kill, and even-strength play.
2022 Norris Trophy Odds for Previous Winners
Out of the previous winners, Victor Hedman opened with the best odds to win the 2022 Norris Trophy at +600. The previous winner with the next best odds would be Roman Josi at +1500.
Last 10 Award Winners
|2020-21||Adam Fox (New York Rangers)||55 (COVID-19 Shortened Season)||5||42||47||22|
|2019-20||Roman Josi (Nashville Predators)||52 (COVID-19-Shortened Season)||16||49||65||30|
|2018-19||Mark Giordano (Calgary Flames)||78||17||57||74||35|
|2017-18||Victor Hedman (Tampa Bay Lightning)||77||17||46||63||27|
|2016-17||Brent Burns (San Jose Sharks)||82||29||47||76||31|
|2015-16||Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings)||82||14||37||51||26|
|2014-15||Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators)||82||21||45||66||24|
|2013-14||Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks)||79||6||55||61||30|
|2012-13||PK Subban (Montreal Canadiens)||42 (Lockout-Shortened Season)||11||27||38||23|
|2011-12||Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators)||81||19||59||78||21|
The median age of Norris winners in the last ten years is approximately 27. Adam Fox won the 2021 Norris Trophy at the age of 22, which is the youngest winner since Erik Karlsson won at the age of 21 in 2012.
Players with Multiple Norris Trophies
Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, and Nicklas Lidstrom are commonly regarded as not only some of the best defensemen to ever play in the league but also some of the best players to ever play the game. This is reflected in their absurd Norris Trophy totals.
Nicklas Lidstrom’s career was especially remarkable, as he never missed the playoffs once in his 20 season career. His durability was equally remarkable, as prior to missing 12 games in his final season at the age of 41, the most regular season games he had missed in a season was 6. In total, he played a total of 1564 regular season games, on top of 263 playoff games.