- Vergil Ortiz Jr vs Samuel Vargas goes Friday, July 24th at 8:00 PM EST
- Can Ortiz Jr maintain his unbeaten streak/flawless KO rate or will Vargas knock the boxing world off its axis?
- Check out the fight odds as well as a preview and prediction below
Vergil Ortiz Jr and Samuel Vargas will broadcast on DAZN this week. The night of fights emanates from Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California.
This event marks the first event for Golden Boy Promotions since March of this year due to COVID-19 pandemic. Ortiz Jr vs Vargas was slated to go down in late-March and had to be rescheduled to this late-July date. This contest represents the first bout of the calendar year for both men.
Ortiz Jr vs Vargas Main Card Odds
|Shane Mosley Jr||-650|
|Vergil Ortiz Jr||-7500|
Odds as of July 22nd
One of the issues Vargas is faced with heading into this fight is his perceived inability to level up. His career losses (Luis Collazo, Amir Khan, Danny Garcia, and Errol Spence Jr) represented prior efforts to fight a boxer on the next tier – although he has yet to get a win.
Though Vargas won his last outing, establishing consistency here is key as he’s 2-2-1 across his last five fights.
Vergil Ortiz Jr. Has Strong Knockout Resume
In the other corner lies Ortiz Jr., who’s consistency is his bread and butter. His pro record is a 15-fight winning streak with a 100% knockout rate across all outings. Ortiz Jr has been touted by many, including the organization itself, as the future of Golden Boy promotions.
In the eyes of many including ESPN, he was the top prospect of 2019. In his first fight of 2020, Ortiz Jr has a chance to not only keep adding to the highlight reel but also to further validate all the hype surrounding him.
15 fights, 15 wins, 15 KOs.
— Cerebral Vigilante (@Delisketo) July 22, 2020
Despite the pandemic, Ortiz Jr. seems laser-focused and optimally prepared to compete. Vargas does have a two-inch reach advantage, but Ortiz Jr.’s mechanics and ability to quickly close distance might even that out. Vargas certainly has the more decorated mantle in terms of championship belts.
While Ortiz Jr. secured the NABF junior super lightweight title, Vargas has captured numerous straps on the Canadian circuit. This encompasses the NABA Canadian welterweight title, NABA Canadian super welterweight title, and the NABA welterweight title.
Ortiz Jr vs Vargas Tale of the Tape
|Brad Solomon, Antonio Orozco, Mauricio Herrera||Significant Wins||Gabriel Adrian Pereiro, Jussi Koivula, Ali Funeka|
I see Ortiz Jr securing the stoppage victory inside of five rounds.
Pick: Vergil Ortiz Jr (-7500)
Main Card Picks for Ortiz Jr vs Vargas
- Jeremy Ramos vs Shane Mosley Jr – It’s hard to ignore the fact that Jeremy Ramos has seven losses across his last nine fights. This fight reads, on paper, like an effort to further bolster Mosley Jr’s confidence by getting him another win. I see Mosley Jr improving his win streak to three in a row on Friday night. Pick: Shane Mosley Jr (-650)
- Mercito Gesta vs Hector Tanajara= Gesta has the experience edge and a slight edge in quality of resume but there’s so much to be said for having momentum in combat sports. Tanajara is unbeaten at 19-0, is at this point a multi-time defending champion, and I see him improving to 20-0 Friday night. Tanajara gets it done via unanimous decision. Pick: Hector Tanajara (-3000)