- The WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play tees off Wednesday March 27th
- A star-studded field will compete for the coveted crown in Texas
- We’ve narrowed down the golfers with the best chance of emerging victorious
The hotly contested World Golf Championships-Dell Technologies Match Play tees off Wednesday, March 27th at Austin Country Club. All the big names in the sport will be competing, with the exception of Rickie Fowler and Adam Scott, who declined.
The first three days will consist of 16 groups of four golfers each playing everyone in their group once in a round robin format to decide which golfers will advance to the sweet 16. After that, single elimination knockout matches occur all the way to the final, where a champion is crowned.
2019 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play Odds
|Golfer||Odds to Win 2019 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play at Bovada||Odds at BetOnline|
*Odds taken 03/25/19. Follow the link in the table above to see all betting options.
Tommy Fleetwood Primed for 1st US victory
Tommy Fleetwood has been playing some great golf of late, holding 36 hole leads in his last two events – the Players Championship and Arnold Palmer Invitational.
While he wasn’t able to convert those into victories, Fleetwood is gaining valuable experience stateside. He was also brilliant in the 2018 Match Play format at the Ryder Cup, going 4-1 and leading Europe to victory, so he’s proven to be a strong match play competitor.
Tommy Fleetwood – not out of it yet! He's got three feet for eagle on the 16th to get to 14-under.pic.twitter.com/g6p0ZuzIdc
— GOLFTV (@GOLFTV) March 17, 2019
At +2200, Fleetwood is a tremendous bet to make this week in the unpredictable format that is match play.
Tommy Fleetwood’s Last 4 Tournaments
|Arnold Palmer Invitational||T-3rd|
Should You Bet on Bubba Watson to Repeat at WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play?
For a guy coming off a fourth place finish last week you’d think Bubba Watson would have a little more confidence in his ability to defend his WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play title.
Bubba Watson heads into his title defense at next week’s WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play with a little momentum from Valspar, but don’t bank on a repeat run through the bracket.
— Golf Central (@GolfCentral) March 25, 2019
Is he downplaying his chances to alleviate the pressure or does he simply not believe he can win back-to-back events, despite watching Paul Casey do just that Sunday at the Valspar Championship? Bubba is a volatile golfer to predict, but I say he deserves a strong look at +2800 this week.
Last 5 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play Winners
*Was not contested at Austin Country Club
2019 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play Value Picks
- Hideki Matsuyama (+4000): Coming off a tie for 8th at Players Championship. Three top 10’s in last six events with nothing worse than a tie for 33rd. Second in strokes gained-tee to green this year.
- Ian Poulter (+4000): The Ryder Cup stalwart has proven time and again to be dominant in Match Play, having won the 2010 edition of this tournament. Also won Volvo World Match Play in 2011. T-3rd at WGC Mexico and was in contention at Players Championship until a poor weekend stalled him.
- Branden Grace (+10000): This week’s dart throw with upside. Up and down season saw him finish runner-up in Phoenix, mixed in with some ghastly results. Won all five matches in 2015 Presidents Cup.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.