- The WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play is down to the final two golfers
- Kevin Kisner the slight favorite to defeat Matt Kuchar
- Who’s the best bet to be crowned 2019 WGC-Dell Match Play Champion?
The long grueling marathon week is coming to a conclusion at the WGC-Dell Match Play with 23rd ranked Matt Kuchar squaring off against no. 48 Kevin Kisner in the final.
Before the tournament started, both golfers had reasonable betting odds with Kuchar at +4500 and Kisner +6600. Kuchar won this event back in 2013 while Kisner is the first finalist in back-to-back years since Hunter Mahan in 2013.
WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play Final Odds
*Odds taken March 31 at 2pm EST; follow link in the table to see consolation match odds
Kevin Kisner Looking to do One Better Than Last Year
Kevin Kisner has shown an incredible ability to get the job done at this event, making his second straight final.
— Lee Westwood (@WestwoodLee) March 30, 2019
The wily American survived a group including Ian Poulter, Tony Finau, and Keith Mitchell, then dispatched HaoTong Li in the round of 16, followed by major champions Louis Oosthuizen and Francesco Molinari in the quarters and semifinals, respectively.
Kevin Kisner is the 1st player to make the @DellMatchPlay final in consecutive years since Hunter Mahan in 2012-2013.
— Justin Ray (@JustinRayGolf) March 31, 2019
Golfers to Reach WGC Match Play Final in Back-to-Back Years
|Tiger Woods (2004)||WIN|
|Geoff Ogilvy (2007)||LOSS|
|Paul Casey (2010)||LOSS|
|Hunter Mahan (2013)||LOSS|
|Kevin Kisner (2019)||???|
No runner-up has ever won the next year, so history is not on his side. However, Kisner has been dialed in and playing some fantastic golf so expect a spirited close tilt.
2013 Champ Matt Kuchar Back for More
Matt Kuchar’s run to the final hasn’t gone without controversy, as he got into a dustup with Sergio Garcia on Saturday over a conceded putt.
Matt Kuchar did not have a chance to concede Sergio Garcia's second putt.
Therefore, Garcia lost the hole.
Kuchar told the official he wanted to give Garcia the putt, but that cannot be done retroactively. pic.twitter.com/AJFF8N5J7h
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) March 30, 2019
He seemed unfazed by Sergio’s temper tantrum and dispatched the unheralded Lucas Bjerregaard in the semifinals, but not before going through Jon Rahm, JB Holmes, Sii Woo Kim, Tyrrell Hatton and Sergio.
With a victory in the final, Kuchar would become the season’s first three-time champ on tour.
Final and Consolation Match Picks
- Kevin Kisner over Matt Kuchar (-115): This is such a difficult call because both players are virtually the same golfer. I like Kisner’s bulldog mentality to avenge last year’s finals loss to Bubba Watson.
- Francesco Molinari over Lucas Bjerregaard in consolation match (-200): The big Dane made a shocking run all the way to the semi-finals, but came up short against Kuchar. Molinari is by far the more polished player and steadier, so don’t overthink it and bet on the Italian.
Let's have fun and keep it civil.