2019 MLS Cup Odds Tracker
- Track MLS Cup odds for every team during the 2019 MLS season
- Compare top contenders in the Eastern and Western conferences and see how their odds fluctuate throughout the year
- View teams individually or compared to others trending in the same direction
We’ve been tracking the 2019 championship odds for all 24 Major League Soccer teams since they became available and have included the info below. The graphs on this page are generated by calculating the average from many of our most trusted sportsbooks.
Odds to Win the MLS Cup 2019
- [July 2] The San Jose Earthquakes have experienced a huge turnaround and now fifth in the West, their average MLS Cup odds have shortened from +11000 in May, down to +3300 today
- [May 21] Now sitting first in the Eastern Conference, the Philadelphia Union are starting to get the attention of oddsmakers as their odds have been slashed from an average of +3100 three weeks ago, down to +1300 today
- [May 1] LAFC’s odds continue to shorten down to +350
- [April 15] LAFC now have their shortest odds thus far and are top favorites for MLS Cup at average odds of +450
- [March 28] Champions Atlanta United have yet to adjust to life under Frank de Boer. Their shaky start has seen their average MLS Cup odds drift out to +970 from +550 prior to the season
- [January 23] The New York Red Bulls finished the 2018 regular season with a record 71 points on their way to a third Supporters’ Shield in the past six years. 22 regular season wins was also an MLS record but unfortunately it was not enough to get them their first MLS Cup title. They open as MLS Cup favorites
Odds to Win the MLS Cup 2019 at Bovada
|Team||Odds to Win Outright at Bovada|
|New York City FC||+1000|
|New York Red Bulls||+1200|
*Odds taken on July 2, 2019. For a full list click the link in the table.
From a betting perspective, last year’s runners-up New York Red Bulls opened up as betting favorites with average odds of +460. MLS Cup Champions Atlanta United come in as second-favorites with an average of +550. Despite failing to even make the playoffs last season, the LA Galaxy start the season as third favorites and the most likely winner from the West at +600. Closing out the top five include New York City FC at +900 and LAFC at +930.
Teams not getting much love from the bookmakers include Minnesota United, San Jose Earthquakes, Colorado Rapids and Orlando City who all own average odds of +10000 or higher. By contrast, despite making their maiden voyage in the league, even FC Cincinnati have been given average odds of +6600.
MLS Playoff Format
Only one team from each conference will receive a bye in the first round of the playoffs. This means six additional teams from each conference will qualify for the playoffs for a total of 14 teams overall.
The home-and-home or two-legged aggregate style matchups will also be no more, thus enhancing the importance of the regular season. Playoffs will now feature a fixed-bracket, single-elimination format with higher seeds hosting throughout the playoffs.
With Decision Day coming on October 6th and the playoffs beginning on October 19th, the FIFA international break will fall in between and will no longer break up the MLS Cup Playoffs.
Past MLS Cup Winners
|2018||Atlanta United FC|
|2016||Seattle Sounders FC|
|2014||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|2013||Sporting Kansas City|
|2012||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|2011||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|2009||Real Salt Lake|
DC United appeared in the first four MLS Cup Finals, winning three titles in the process. Their most recent MLS Cup victory came in 2004 against the Kansas City Wizards.
MLS Eastern Conference Odds
- [July 2] Atlanta United are three points out of first place in the East, but own the shortest odds of +900
- [May 21] Philadelphia is starting to make noise in the East, currently in first place and with odds of +1300 to win MLS Cup
- [May 1] Nearly 25% of the way through the season and Wayne Rooney’s DC United are currently Eastern favorites at +850
01/23/19 Open Update: With changes at Atlanta and NYCFC, Shield-winning Red Bulls begin the preseason as East favorites. In addition to the loss of Adams, they’re also dealing with transfer rumors swirling around Kaku and Club America.
- [July 2] Despite being just sixth in the East, New York City FC have the second-shortest odds among Eastern sides. They have played four and five games fewer than each of the top three teams in the East
- [May 21] The Union have now cracked the Top 4 favorites in the East
- [May 1] DC, along with Atlanta, Toronto FC and and New York City FC have emerged as the top four contenders in the East
01/23/19 Open Update: Right behind NYRB in the East are MLS Cup champs Atlanta United as the team from the East with the second shortest odds. The Five Stripes will have a new coach with Tata Martino moving onto the Mexican National Team and currently have to pair down from four DPs. With the anticipated sale of Miguel Almirón being delayed, Josef Martínez signing a new five-year deal, River Plate star Pity Martinez arriving in town (yet not officially signed) and Ezequiel Barco also on the roster, someone needs to move prior to the start of the season. A good problem to have, yet still a problem.
No David Villa, no problem says bookmakers. The blue side of New York lost a major star as the Spanish international has taken his talents to Japan to join Vissel Kobe. City open with average odds of +900.
Rounding out the top four in the East are 2017 champs Toronto FC. Victor Vazquez is leaving for Qatar, but most of the team remains intact despite all three DPs playing on expiring contacts. Can they regain their 2017 form?
- [July 2] TFC have continued to struggle and now see their odds at +3000, yet they still own the seventh-shortest odds in the East
- [May 21] TFC have begun to cool off and are now at their longest odds of the year at +1900
- [May 1] The Philadelphia Union have re-entered the Top 7 discussion with average odds of +3100
01/23/19 Open Update: The Union entered the playoffs as the six seed last season and made a quick exit in the Knockout Round. At +2000 bookies give them the fifth-best odds in the East.
They came on strong in the second half of last season, but can Wayne Rooney and DC United start strong in 2019? They open at +2200. And rounding out the playoff favorites are the Columbus Crew who have a new ownership group keeping the Crew at odds of +3300 in Columbus. #SaveTheCrew.
Teams with the Most MLS Cup Victories
The Galaxy have won five MLS Cup Finals and have been runners-up on four more occasions. Their last title came in 2014 against the New England Revolution.
MLS Western Conference Odds
- [July 2] LAFC still continue to run the league, with odds now at +240 to win MLS Cup
- [May 21] Another few weeks, some more wins and more money coming in on LAFC. The second year team is now average odds of +270 to win MLS Cup
- [May 1] A quarter of the way into the MLS regular season and the LA-based clubs are leading the way with LAFC at +350 and LA at +580
01/23/19 Open Update: They failed to even make the playoffs last season, but clearly a full season of Zlatan equals a full season of success as the LA Galaxy have the best odds of any Western Conference team at +600. The Galaxy also welcome a new GM and head coach into the mix and hope to return to their usual standards in MLS. Another team with too many DPs—one of Romain Alessandrini or Giovanni or Jonathan dos Santos will have to make way or have their contract restructured to make room for Ibra.
- [July 2] Portland had odds of +5800 on May 1, but now have the fourth-shortest at +1900
- [May 21] The Houston Dyanamo are now a Top 4 favorite in the West with average odds of +1700
- [May 1] Rounding out the Top 4 includes the Seattle Sounders and FC Dallas
01/23/19 Open Update: The next three favored sides in the West include the Galaxy’s El Tráfico rival LAFC (+930), the Seattle Sounders (+1000) and MLS Cup finalists Portland Timbers (+1200).
LAFC burst onto the scene in their expansion year during 2018 finishing third in the West. They’ve brought back most of the same team and will look to take the next step in the league.
The Sounders had the best half-season in league history and rebounded from an equally terrible start. Former captain Ozzie Alonso is now in Minnesota, but they’ll have a full season of Raul Ruidiaz and welcome back US international Jordan Morris. Morris missed all of last season with an ACL injury.
Finalists Portland Timbers are still favored to remain in the West’s top four but will face an extended road trip to start 2019. Providence Park is getting a facelift by adding 4,000 new seats, which will send the Timbers on the road for their opening 12 games. Circle the calendar for their home opener on June 1st.
- [July 7] San Jose and Houston round of the top seven favorites in the West, each with average odds of +3300
- [May 21] The Portland Timbers have been steadily improving and their odds reflect it. +8000 on April 15, +5800 May 1 and now +3500 today
- [May 1] Minnesota United round out the Top 7 in the West, and despite winning their first game at their new home stadium, have seen their odds slip to +4500 from +3300 last month
01/23/19 Open Update: The West’s top team in the regular season isn’t seeing much love from bookies to open 2019 as Sporting Kansas City have just the fifth-shortest odds in the West to win MLS Cup at +1500. SKC’s competitive season will start earlier than most, as one of five MLS teams to be participating in CCL which begins on February 19.
At +2000 is FC Dallas. FCD’s offseason featured the mutually parting of ways with longtime head coach Óscar Pareja and the hiring of former Academy Director Luchi Gonzalez. They also signed a new DP in Honduran international Bryan Acosta from Spanish side Tenerife.
The final team favored among the top seven in the West is Real Salt Lake at average odds of +4700. RSL claimed the final playoff spot in the West last season and lost out in the Western semis to SKC.
MLS Cup Winners and Runners-Up Over the Years
Archived MLS Cup Odds: 2018