- On average, Clemson is an overwhelming -350 favorite to win the 2019 ACC football championship
- Dabo Swinney’s Tigers are the defending national champions
- Miami (Fla.) is the second betting choice to win the conference, all the way back at +700
Can any team hold off the Clemson Tigers from winning yet another ACC football title? You won’t find a sportsbook that sees any chance of this happening in 2019. In fact, the odds suggest that it won’t even be a close race.
Averaging the odds from the leading sportsbooks, Clemson is rated as the -350 favorite in the 2019 ACC championship odds. BetOnline is even more sure of the Tigers’ triumph.
Odds to Win 2019 ACC Football Title
|School||2019 ACC Conference Title Odds at BetOnline|
|North Carolina State||+2800|
*Odds taken 07/12/19
Clemson has won four straight ACC titles.
Clemson Crushes The Competition
In the past four seasons, Clemson has gone 38-2 against ACC opposition. The Tigers were 10-0 in 2015 and 2018. Pittsburgh (2017) and Syracuse (2016) were the only blots on the record in those seasons.
The Panthers are the lone ACC team to win a game at Clemson in the past five years.
Last season, the Tigers won their 10 ACC games by an average margin of 31.7 points per game. Only the Orangemen (27-23) kept them within single digits.
Clemson beat Louisville 77-16, Wake Forest 63-3 and Florida State 59-10. North Carolina fell by 34 points, Duke by 29 and Georgia Tech by 28.
In the ACC Championship Game, the Tigers crushed Pittsburgh 42-10.
What’s Happened To The ACC?
Back in the 1980s and 1990s, the ACC could call itself a power conference. In the 80s, the ACC led all conferences by winning four national titles. No conference earned more national titles during the 1990s than the three garnered by the ACC.
And it wasn’t just one school getting in done. Clemson won a national title in 1981. In Miami, the Hurricanes laid claim to #1 in 1983, 1987, 1989, and 1991. The Florida State Seminoles were national champs in 1993 and 1999.
Miami’s last national title came in 2001. Florida State were national champs as recently as 2013 but lately have fallen on hard times. Last season, the Seminoles were 5-7 and 3-5 in the conference.
With their two College Football Playoff victories last season, the national champion Tigers won half as many postseason games as the rest of the ACC combined (four).
At Least the Coastal Will Be Contested
While the Tigers will roar in the ACC Atlantic, a number of teams could win the Coastal. Over the past six years, six different schools have represented this division in the ACC title game.
Virginia, Virginia Tech, Miami and Pittsburgh are all legit contenders.
Sadly, they’ll only be competing for the right to be rolled by Clemson. The Tigers won the last two ACC Championship Games by a combined score of 80-13.
One And None
The absolute certainty of the 2018 ACC season is that Clemson will crush any school in its path. Quarterback Trevor Lawrence is a Heisman Trophy candidate and he’s really only scratched the surface of his ability. Running back Trevor Etienne ran for an FBS-best 24 touchdowns in 2018 and was named ACC player of the year.
The only question is by how much of a margin will the Tigers win the conference? Based on the current odds being offered within the ACC, Clemson would be at least a 22.5-point favorite against any other team.
You Can’t Bet That
The only regular season ACC game where Clemson figures to be tested this season is a September 14th contest at the Carrier Dome against Syracuse.
The odds on their other ACC games will be so lopsided, it won’t be profitable enough to risk betting on Clemson.
SDB’s college football conference championship coverage
- AAC: UCF Is +125 Chalk in the 2019 AAC Conference Title Odds; Memphis Next at +300
- ACC: 2019 ACC Title Odds Give Clemson (-350) Almost an 80% Chance
- Big 12: The Big 12 Conference Title Odds Set Oklahoma as -125 Favorite
- Big Ten: 2019 Big Ten Odds Indicate Ohio State (+110) Is a Step Ahead of Michigan (+240)
- C-USA: C-USA Deemed the Tightest Title Race in the Country
- MAC: MAC Conference Title Odds Favor Toledo, But Give Six Teams a Reasonable Shot
- Mountain West: 2019 Mountain West Title Shaping Up as Boise State vs the Field
- Pac-12: Utah Gaining on Favorites Washington, Oregon in 2019 Pac-12 Conference Title Odds
- SEC: Updated SEC Title Odds See Alabama & Georgia Get Even Shorter
- Sun Belt: App State Is a -175 Favorite to Win 2019 Sun Belt Title
Let's have fun and keep it civil.