- Third-seeded Purdue take on 14-seed Yale in the East Region First Round
- The Boilermakers lost in the Big Ten Tournament Final, while the Bulldogs won the Ivy League
- Read below for the Yale vs Purdue odds, analysis, and betting prediction
The Yale Bulldogs should find out pretty quick that they ain’t in the Ivy League anymore, when they tip-off against Big 10 powerhouse Purdue in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament in the East Region.
The Boilermakers, the 3-seed in the bracket, bring one of the most potent offenses in all of basketball to the table, one that can outscore their problems, at least in the early rounds.
It’s a big reason why Purdue are hefty 16.5-point favorites against the 14th-seeded Bulldogs.
It all gets underway Friday at 2pm ET from the Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee, in a game that can be seen live on TBS.
Editor’s note: the game total has been bet up from 143 to 144.5 as of 11:11 am ET on March 18.
Yale vs Purdue Odds
|Yale Bulldogs||+1000||+16.5 (-110)||O 143 (-110)|
|Purdue Boilermakers||-2000||-16.5 (-110)||U 143 (-110)|
Odds as of March 17th at Caesars Sportsbook. Check out all the available Caesars Sportsbook promo codes.
Can a 3-seed in March Madness be a value pick? According to the NCAA Tournament champion odds, the Boilermakers have the 8th-best odds to take it all.
There’s a chance to make real betting hay during the tournament, with a plethora of March Madness betting bonuses practically giving away cash for simply signing up. Still not sure if you should take the plunge? Get primed with our strategies for betting on March Madness.
Yale Bulldogs Betting Analysis
After finishing just a game behind the Princeton Tigers for the Ivy League regular-season crown, the Bulldogs flipped the script to win the Conference Tournament over Princeton, taking the lone automatic berth for March.
That win capped off a remarkable 2022 for the Bulldogs, who finish the year with a crisp 13-3 mark in their final 16 games.
Azar Swain and Yale are going dancing!
🔥 23 PTS
🔥 6 REB
— SLAM University (@slam_university) March 13, 2022
They’re led by Conference Tourney MVP Azar Swain, an all-Ivy League First-Team selection.
Swain finished second in league scoring at 19.2 points per game, to go along with 4.2 rebounds, while shooting 34.9% from three on the season. He’s led Yale in scoring in three straight games.
— Yale Men's Basketball (@YaleMBasketball) March 13, 2022
Jalen Gabbidon was the only other Bulldog that averaged double-digit scoring on the year. Despite averaging 72.3 points per game, KenPom has them a woeful 209th in adjusted offensive efficiency.
If there is one aspect of their game could slow down Purdue, it’s their defense, particularly around the arc, where they held teams to 30.4% shooting. That’s good for 36th-best in the nation, but doing it against the Ivy League is a whole different story.
Purdue Boilermakers Betting Analysis
Obviously, losing in the Big 10 Conference Final to Iowa was not how Purdue wanted to enter March Madness. Still, they have a lot of elements to make a deep run.
Their offense is powered by two stars, led by wing Jaden Ivey, who was names to the All-Big 10 First Team. Ivey, currently eighth in the Wooden Award odds averaged 17.4 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists, while shooting 35.6% from three-point range.
I’m all-in on Jaden Ivey. His explosion is ridiculous. pic.twitter.com/TWR3awHQhg
— Evan Sidery (@esidery) February 20, 2022
He’s paired with 7-foot-4 force Zach Edey, who averaged 14.6 points and 7.8 rebounds while shooting a blistering 65.5% from the field.
Around them the perimeter is dotted with marksmen, with Sasha Stefanovic, Mason Gillis, Eric Hunter Jr and Isaiah Thompson all hitting at 39% or better from deep.
LOL this is the most flawless execution of a full-court pass I’ve ever seen. Trevion Williams to Zach Edey. pic.twitter.com/Zzom8CtanI
— Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) January 4, 2022
As a team, Purdue boasts the 4th-best shooting mark from three, hitting at an impressive 39.1% clip. They also boast the third-best offensive efficiency in basketball, according to KenPom. They are 13th in Div I scoring, putting up 79.8 a night.
Where they can struggle, however is on the defensive end. Purdue surrendered 68.8 points per game, which was a lowly eighth in the Big 10.
Yale vs Purdue Pick
Size is going to matter in this one. Edey is eight inches taller and 75 pounds heavier than any defender Yale can throw his way. Trevion Williams and Caleb Furst are both 6-foot-10.
Compare that to EJ Jarvis, who’s 6-foot-7, one of three players that crosses that height for the Bulldogs.
We know what we’re capable of.
— Purdue Men's Basketball (@BoilerBall) March 16, 2022
Despite their 27-7 record, the Boilermakers were just 13-20-1 against the spread, tied for the fewest betting wins in the Big Ten. They’re also just 1-5 ATS coming off a loss.
Yale was 14-15 ATS on the season, and just 0-1 ATS against ranked opponents. Regardless of Purdue’s dubious betting stats, it’s fair to say the Bulldogs will be facing their toughest opponent of the year Friday, and it will show.
Pick: Purdue -16.5 (-110)
Other March Madness Content
First Round Game Previews (Friday)
- Loyola Chicago vs Ohio State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Jacksonville State vs Auburn Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Montana State vs Texas Tech Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
First Round Game Previews (Thursday)
- Michigan vs Colorado State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Providence vs South Dakota State Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Memphis vs Boise State Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Norfolk State vs Baylor Odds and Picks (2:00 pm ET)
- Longwood vs Tennessee Picks and Odds (2:45 pm ET)
- Richmond vs Iowa Odds, Lines, and Spread (3:10 pm ET)
- Gonzaga vs Georgia State Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Marquette vs UNC Picks and Odds (4:30 pm ET)
- New Mexico State vs UConn Odds, Lines, and Spread (6:50 pm ET)
- Saint Peter’s vs Kentucky Odds and Picks (7:10 pm ET)
- Indiana vs Saint Mary’s Picks and Odds (7:20 pm ET)
- Creighton vs San Diego State Odds, Lines, and Spread (7:27 pm ET)
- Vermont vs Arkansas Odds and Picks (9:20 pm ET)
- San Francisco vs Murray State Picks and Odds (9:40 pm ET)
- Akron vs UCLA Odds, Lines, and Spread (9:50 pm ET)
- Texas Southern vs Kansas Odds and Picks (9:57 pm ET)
- East Region Odds — Baylor Earns Top Seed, Kentucky Favored
- Midwest Region Odds See Kansas Favored Over Auburn, Iowa and Wisconsin
- South Region Odds: Arizona +110 Favorites, Tennessee & Houston Sleepers
- West Regional Odds: Gonzaga Odds-On Favorite to Reach Final Four