- Gonzaga is a 23.5-point favorite over Georgia State on Thursday afternoon in an NCAA Round One Game
- The winner advances to play the winner of Boise State versus Memphis in a West Region second round game
- A look at the Georgia State vs Gonzaga odds and matchup can be found below with a prediction
Making its latest NCAA Tournament appearance since losing to Baylor in the National Final last season, Gonzaga goes up against Georgia State in a Round One game at 4:15 p.m. ET, Thursday, at Mode Center in Portland, Oregon. This game will be shown on TNT.
Gonzaga (26-3) won their conference tournament again and has triumphed in 19 of its last 20 games following a home loss in December to Alabama. The Bulldogs won each of their conference tournament games by double digits in taking the West Coast Conference title.
Georgia State vs Gonzaga Odds
|Georgia State||+10000||+23.5 (-110)||Over 149.5 (-105)|
|Gonzaga||-1600||-23.5 (-110)||Under 149.5 (-115)|
Odds as of March 16th at BetMGM.
Located in Atlanta, Georgia State (18-10) is making its fourth appearance in the Big Dance since 2015. The Panthers even won NCAA Tournament games in 2001 and yes most recently in 2015. Gonzaga figures to be a bit taller of a task on Thursday. They do come in winners of ten straight games and won the Sun Belt conference tournament 80-71 over Louisiana.
The winner gets a date with either #9-seed Memphis or #8-seed Boise State on Saturday. The Bulldogs are huge -148 favorites in the West Region Final Four odds and are expected to open as a double-digit favorite against either team.
Gonzaga Betting Outlook
Gonzaga has split its last ten games against the spread and is 15-12-2 overall against the number in 2021-22.
Junior forward Drew Timme, leads the way for Gonzaga with a 17.5 point-per-game average. He is also shooting nearly 59% from the field and playing a modest 27.5 minutes per game. That has kept him and the other Bulldogs fresh for another tournament run.
"You have two choices when you face a down. You can sulk and be sad about it or rise up to the challenge and take positives from it."
Drew Timme is ready to right what happened last March. I talked one-on-one with him on Sunday.
— Brenna Greene (@BrennaGreene_) March 16, 2022
Against St. Mary’s, Timme had an off night. He had just ten points with four rebounds and two assists in 30 minutes of action. It was a night where shots clanged off the rim in frustrating fashion.
Timme has scored at least 19 points in five of the last eight games. He also has reached at least 30 points on three occasions this season.
The win in the WCC championship game was aided by Gonzaga’s depth which carried them at times in the conference tournament.
It was not Chet Holmgren and Timme leading the way, it was Andrew Nembhard and Rasir Bolton who combined for 37 points as Gonzaga outlasted Saint Mary’s and the 12.5 point spread.
The senior guard play for Gonzaga is something to keep an eye on as Nembhard is the most prolific playmaker on the entire Bulldogs team.
119.1 ORtng, 53.1% eFG, 5.7 Ast, 1.5 TO
103.1 ORtng, 44.2% eFG, 5.7 Ast, 3 TO
— 𝙏𝙊𝙐𝙍𝙉𝙀𝙔 𝙏𝙄𝙈𝙀 𝙏𝙐𝘾𝙆🪃 (@tuckclarry) March 15, 2022
Nembhard is an excellent guard with averages of 11.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.6 steals. He also leads all starters in playing time at over 31 minutes per contest.
Freshman center Chet Holmgren has a 14.2 scoring average and 9.6 rebounds per game for Gonzaga, whose 13-1 conference mark was one of the best this regular season.
Georgia State Betting Outlook
Georgia State has been on the winning side of the spread in ten of its last 13 games but dropped their first 11 of 14 ATS to open the 2021-22 season.
The Panthers are led by their three guards who all average 11 or more points per game. This senior led trio spearheaded their conference run and winning streak. It is hard to believe this team was 8-10 at one point this season.
Looking ahead … the Committee did Gonzaga no favors by under-seeding Georgia State, a team whose record doesn’t depict early injury issues vs the team playing now. The Zags should advance but Ga. State is more of a 14 seed at full strength; lost once since Jan. 27.
— Dave Ommen (@BracketguyDave) March 16, 2022
Corey Allen went off in the conference final against Louisiana. He had 29 points in all including five points in a key stretch where Louisiana had narrowed the Georgia State lead to three. With 7:28 remaining, the season was on the line.
After that seven point run, the Panthers were well on their way to their fourth Sun Belt title in just eight years.
Jalen Thomas added 12 points for Georgia State and made a slew of key defensive plays using his 6-10 frame against Louisiana.
Thomas had 7.7 points per game and 6.1 rebounds for Georgia State as a Junior this season but Senior Eliel Nsoseme was a near double-double machine averaging 9.4 points and 9.8 rebounds per game. That included 12 and 10 in the conference final.
However, it is that guard play, particularly from Allen that could put a bit of fear early against Gonzaga.
3. In Rob Lanier’s 3rd yr in Atlanta, Georgia State is heading back to the dance. @GeorgiaStateMBB‘s Corey Allen scored 29 pts in both semis/finals of Sun Belt Tourney, making 11-15 from 3. The Panthers will need that continue as they sit among the bottom 25 nationally in eFG%.
— Rush the Court (@rushthecourt) March 8, 2022
Allen and the guards are capable of lighting up from behind the arc but they are also capable of a power outage as well..
Gonzaga vs Georgia State Prediction
Gonzaga could have a bit of a tough time early but should pull away in the second half against a game Georgia State squad.
However, with how explosive Corey Allen has been for the Panthers, 23.5 points may be too tall an order for Gonzaga to cover.
The Pick: Georgia State +23.5 (-110)
Other March Madness Content
First Round (Thursday) Game Previews
- Michigan vs Colorado State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Providence vs South Dakota State Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Memphis vs Boise State Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Norfolk State vs Baylor Odds and Picks (2:00 pm ET)
- Longwood vs Tennessee Picks and Odds (2:45 pm ET)
- Richmond vs Iowa Odds, Lines, and Spread (3:10 pm ET)
- Marquette vs UNC Picks and Odds (4:30 pm ET)
- New Mexico State vs UConn Odds, Lines, and Spread (6:50 pm ET)
- Saint Peter’s vs Kentucky Odds and Picks (7:10 pm ET)
- Indiana vs Saint Mary’s Picks and Odds (7:20 pm ET)
- Creighton vs San Diego State Odds, Lines, and Spread (7:27 pm ET)
- Vermont vs Arkansas Odds and Picks (9:20 pm ET)
- San Francisco vs Murray State Picks and Odds (9:40 pm ET)
- Akron vs UCLA Odds, Lines, and Spread (9:50 pm ET)
- Texas Southern vs Kansas Odds and Picks (9:57 pm ET)
- East Region Odds — Baylor Earns Top Seed, Kentucky Favored
- Midwest Region Odds See Kansas Favored Over Auburn, Iowa and Wisconsin
- South Region Odds: Arizona +110 Favorites, Tennessee & Houston Sleepers
- West Regional Odds: Gonzaga Odds-On Favorite to Reach Final Four
- SBD’s Expert Brackets and March Madness Picks 2022
- March Madness Odds Favor Gonzaga at +350 After Selection Sunday
- March Madness Odds for All First Round Games
- Printable 2022 March Madness Bracket – Make Your Picks for the NCAA Tournament