- Texas Tech is a 15-point favorite over Montana State in an NCAA Tournament first-round game on Friday
- The winner advances to play Alabama or Notre Dame
- A look at the Montana State vs Texas Tech odds and matchup can be found below with a pick
Making its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 1996, #14 seed Montana State will try to spring a major upset when it meets #3 seed Texas Tech in a West Region first round game at 1:45 p.m. ET Friday at Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl in San Diego.
Montana State (27-7) has won six games in a row after polishing off Northern Colorado 87-66 on Saturday in the Big Sky Conference Tournament championship game. The Bobcats will be making their fourth appearance in the NCAAs.
Texas Tech (25-9) has been selected to six of the last seven Big Dances. The Red Raiders have split their last six games, including losing to Kansas 74-65 on Saturday in the Big 12 Tournament title game.
The winner moves on to face Alabama or Notre Dame on Sunday in the March Madness bracket.
Montana State vs Texas Tech Odds
|Montana State||+950||+15 (-110)||Over 132.5 (-109)|
|Texas Tech||-1667||-15 (-110)||Under 132.5 (-112)|
Odds as of March 17th at Barstool Sportsbook. Editor’s note: as of 11:08 am ET, March 18, the game total had been bet down to 131.5 (-109o/-112u).The moneyline and point spread had stayed the same.
The Red Raiders have NCAA Tournament title odds of +2500.
Montana State Betting Outlook
Montana State covered all three of its games in the Big Sky tourney and is 17-14-1 against the spread this season. The Bobcats’ 27 straight-up wins are the second-most in school history behind 36 in 1928-29.
Senior guard Xavier Bishop leads the Bobcats. He is averaging 13.9 points and 4.3 assists a game.
— SWX Montana (@SWXMontana) March 13, 2022
In the win over Northern Colorado, Bishop shined with 19 points and eight assists. He has scored in double figures in nine of the last 10 games.
Montana State shot a sizzling 55.6% (10 of 18) from three-point land and 51.9% (27 of 52) overall. Meanwhile, the Bobcats held Northern Colorado to 30.2% (19 of 63) from the field and 25.0% (6 of 24) on trifectas.
Montana State also held a 41-29 edge in rebounding as it built a 40-28 halftime lead then went up by as much as 25 points in the second half.
Senior guard Amin Adamu scored 16 points, raising his average to 11.6.
Sophomore guard Nick Gazelas added 15 points after being held scoreless by Weber State in 14 minutes in the semifinals a night earlier. Freshman guard Tyler Patterson made 4 of 5 three-point attempts and finished with 14 points.
After today's win over Montana Western, freshman Tyler Patterson and Nick Gazelas are putting in work to improve their three-point shooting. pic.twitter.com/vLHneAdicp
— John Miller (@JohnMillerNBC26) January 1, 2021
Junior forward Jubrile Belo is a factor inside with averages of 13.0 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.8 blocked shots.
Texas Tech Betting Outlook
Texas Tech was one of college basketball’s most profitable teams until losing five of its last six games against the spread. Overall, the Red Raiders are 21-13 against the number in 2021-22.
Senior forward Bryson Williams is scoring a team-high 13.7 points a game after transferring from UTEP but defense is Texas Tech’s strength. The Red Raiders lead the nation in KenPom’s adjusted defensive efficiency as it is allowing 84.9 points per 100 possessions.
This is still a Bryson Williams fan page! And we HUNGRY! pic.twitter.com/P8TX12kT53
— Christopher McQueen (@cmacwreckem) March 14, 2022
Williams scored a team-high 17 points in the loss to Kansas in the Big 12 title game. That came after he managed 15 points total in the tourney’s first two games.
Junior guard Terrence Shannon Jr. is the only other Texas Tech player with a double-digit scoring average at 10.4. He had a 14-point effort against Kansas.
Senior forward Kevin Obanor added 11 points and six rebounds.
Senior guard Davion Warren spearheads the defense with 1.5 steals a game. He and Obanor both have 9.9 scoring average.
OH MY Davion Warren!!! pic.twitter.com/DbB0i9hUEE
— Austin Massey (@austinmassey247) December 28, 2021
Each of Texas Tech’s top six scorers have made at least 26 three-point field goals, though the Red Raiders drained just 5 of 19 (26.2%) shots from deep in the loss to Kansas.
Montana State vs Texas Tech Prediction
The teams last played in 1995-96 and Texas Tech rolled to an 86-67 home victory.
If the adage about defense winning championships is true, then Texas Tech is indeed a contender to win it all. However, the Red Raiders’ style of play can lead to lower-scoring games, which makes Montana State a tempting play with the points.
The Pick: Montana State +15 (-110)
Other March Madness Content
First Round Game Previews (Friday)
- Loyola Chicago vs Ohio State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Jacksonville State vs Auburn Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Yale vs Purdue Picks and Odds (2:00 pm ET)
- Delaware vs Villanova Odds, Lines and Spread (2:45 pm ET)
- Miami vs USC Odds and Picks (3:10pm ET)
- Notre Dame vs Alabama Picks and Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Virginia Tech vs Texas Odds, Lines and Spread (4:30 pm ET)
- Chattanooga vs Illinois Odds and Picks (6:30 pm ET)
- Cal State Fullerton vs Duke Picks and Odds (7:10 pm ET)
- Iowa State vs LSU Odds, Lines and Spread (7:20 pm ET)
- Wright State vs Arizona Prediction (7:27 pm ET)
- UAB vs Houston Picks and Odds (9:20pm ET)
- Davidson vs Michigan State Odds, Lines and Spread (9:40 pm ET)
- Colgate vs Wisconsin Odds and Picks (9:50 pm ET)
- TCU vs Seton Hall Picks and Odds (9:57 PM ET)
First Round Game Previews (Thursday)
- Michigan vs Colorado State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Providence vs South Dakota State Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Memphis vs Boise State Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Norfolk State vs Baylor Odds and Picks (2:00 pm ET)
- Longwood vs Tennessee Picks and Odds (2:45 pm ET)
- Richmond vs Iowa Odds, Lines, and Spread (3:10 pm ET)
- Gonzaga vs Georgia State Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Marquette vs UNC Picks and Odds (4:30 pm ET)
- New Mexico State vs UConn Odds, Lines, and Spread (6:50 pm ET)
- Saint Peter’s vs Kentucky Odds and Picks (7:10 pm ET)
- Indiana vs Saint Mary’s Picks and Odds (7:20 pm ET)
- Creighton vs San Diego State Odds, Lines, and Spread (7:27 pm ET)
- Vermont vs Arkansas Odds and Picks (9:20 pm ET)
- San Francisco vs Murray State Picks and Odds (9:40 pm ET)
- Akron vs UCLA Odds, Lines, and Spread (9:50 pm ET)
- Texas Southern vs Kansas Odds and Picks (9:57 pm ET)
- East Region Odds — Baylor Earns Top Seed, Kentucky Favored
- Midwest Region Odds See Kansas Favored Over Auburn, Iowa and Wisconsin
- South Region Odds: Arizona +110 Favorites, Tennessee & Houston Sleepers
- West Regional Odds: Gonzaga Odds-On Favorite to Reach Final Four