- The Davidson vs Michigan State odds favor the Spartans by 1-point on Friday (March 18) at 9:40pm ET
- Five of the Spartans’ last six games have eclipsed the total
- Read below for the Davidson vs Michigan State odds, analysis, and betting prediction
Michigan State is making its 24th consecutive March Madness appearance on Friday (March 18th), looking to avoid being one and done for the second straight season. Last year, they fell in overtime to UCLA in a First Four game, and were then forced to watch the Bruins make a run all the way to Final Four.
This year, they’ve been dealt another difficult draw starting with Davidson in the First Round. The Spartans opened up as a 1.5-point favorite in the West Region’s 10 vs 7 matchup, but the line is moving towards the Wildcats.
Davidson vs Michigan State Odds
|Davidson Wildcats||+100||+1 (-110)||O 141 (-110)|
|Michigan State Spartans||-120||-1 (-110)||U 141 (-110)|
Odds as of March 17th at Caesars Sportsbook. See all available Caesars Sportsbook promos.
Michigan State is down to a 1-point favorite, in a game that features a total of 141. Tip-off is scheduled for 9:40pm ET at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, SC, with CBS providing the broadcast coverage.
Just a reminder before placing any bets this week, make sure to consult SBD’s March Madness betting promos. Online sportsbooks are literally giving money away in an effort to attract new clients.
Michigan State Spartans Analysis
The Spartans closed the regular season on a disappointing 3-7 run, and were in danger of not being a factor in the NCAA Tournament odds. Things changed in the Big Ten Tournament however, as Michigan State made it all the way to the semis, upsetting regular season co-champ Wisconsin along the way.
And we're willing to bet you all remember the path to Indy. ✍️
UGA ➡️ UVA ➡️ Oklahoma ➡️ Louisville pic.twitter.com/yo8CsZ2Evo
— Michigan St. on BTN (@MichiganStOnBTN) March 15, 2022
It was the Spartans second victory over the Badgers this season, in addition to victories over fellow March Madness teams Purdue, Michigan, Indiana, UConn and Loyola-Chicago. The deep conference tournament run should give them some momentum heading into the matchup versus Davidson, although they may be shorthanded.
Izzo speaking to the media this afternoon, says he thinks and hopes Tyson Walker will be able to play Friday.
Also added, “I think you’ll see more minutes from Jaden (Akins), either way.”
— Ian Kress (@ian_kress) March 14, 2022
Starting point guard Tyson Walker left the Big Ten semifinal with a sprained ankle and did not return. Michigan State is hopeful he can play on Friday, but a report on Thursday suggests he’s basically 50/50 to suit up. To make matter worse, Walker’s backup A.J. Hoggard also suffered an ankle injury in the same game, but was able to return after a brief absence.
The Spartans are without a contender in the Wooden Award odds and rely on a balanced scoring attack. Four players average over 9 points per game, while the team ranks top-21 in three-point field goal percentage and assists. If there’s a knock on Michigan State it’s their carelessness with the ball, but fortunately for them Davidson is abysmal at forcing turnovers.
24 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances for Coach Izzo.
That's tied for the MOST ALL-TIME. pic.twitter.com/iAwXS7mSWu
— Michigan State Men's Basketball (@MSU_Basketball) March 14, 2022
Defensively, this is not the type of stingy unit we’re used to seeing from a Tom Izzo team. The Spartans rank 143rd in scoring defense, while forcing just 10 turnovers per game.
Davidson Wildcats Betting Analysis
The Wildcats meanwhile, are making their 12th appearance in the March Madness bracket. They coasted to the Atlantic-10 regular season title by posting a 15-3 conference record, but were upset in the A-10 Tournament Final 64-62 by Richmond.
The 𝙈𝙖𝙙𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨 continues Friday in Greenville… pic.twitter.com/XlWxYzjz6V
— Davidson Basketball (@DavidsonMBB) March 16, 2022
Nevertheless, this is not a team you want to meet in the First Round. They may not have the ceiling to be a player in the Final Four odds, but it shouldn’t shock anyone if they win a couple games. The main reason for the optimism is their terrific offense.
LUKA SLAM😤😤 pic.twitter.com/gWwVepZLlT
— Davidson Basketball (@DavidsonMBB) March 13, 2022
Davidson ranks 12th in offensive efficiency per KenPom, and are the sixth best three-point shooting team in the country. They average 75 points per game, while ranking 14th in effective field goal percentage, and 16th in assist-to-turnover ratio.
Mennenga. SPLASH 💦
— FOX College Hoops (@CBBonFOX) March 13, 2022
Defensively, the numbers are nowhere near as impressive. They yield 66 points per game, and rank 192nd at defending the three-point line. Given the Spartans’ prowess from beyond the arc, we should expect an efficient night for Michigan State’s shooters.
Davidson vs Michigan State Pick
Despite its lacklustre defense, Davidson is a prime candidate to pull off the upset here. I wouldn’t fault anyone for backing them, but don’t sleep on the over in this contest.
𝙊𝙛𝙛 𝙩𝙤 𝙂𝙧𝙚𝙚𝙣𝙫𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙚…
— Davidson Basketball (@DavidsonMBB) March 16, 2022
Five of Michigan State’s past six outings soared over the total, as did 14 of its 23 conference games. They don’t play a suffocating kind of defense that should worry the Wildcats, while Davidson’s offense is good enough to go toe-to-toe with almost any program.
Four of the Wildcats’ last five contests went over the number, and the over is 4-1 in their last five games versus top-75 opposition.
Pick: Over 141 (-110)
Other March Madness Content
First Round Game Previews (Friday)
- Loyola Chicago vs Ohio State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Jacksonville State vs Auburn Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Montana State vs Texas Tech Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Yale vs Purdue Picks and Odds (2:00 pm ET)
- Delaware vs Villanova Odds, Lines and Spread (2:45 pm ET)
- Miami vs USC Odds and Picks (3:10pm ET)
- Notre Dame vs Alabama Picks and Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Virginia Tech vs Texas Odds, Lines and Spread (4:30 pm ET)
- Chattanooga vs Illinois Odds and Picks (6:30 pm ET)
- Cal State Fullerton vs Duke Picks and Odds (7:10 pm ET)
- Iowa State vs LSU Odds, Lines and Spread (7:20 pm ET)
- Wright State vs Arizona Prediction (7:27 pm ET)
- UAB vs Houston Picks and Odds (9:20pm ET)
- Colgate vs Wisconsin Odds and Picks (9:50 pm ET)
- TCU vs Seton Hall Picks and Odds (9:57 PM ET)
First Round Game Previews (Thursday)
- Michigan vs Colorado State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Providence vs South Dakota State Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Memphis vs Boise State Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Norfolk State vs Baylor Odds and Picks (2:00 pm ET)
- Longwood vs Tennessee Picks and Odds (2:45 pm ET)
- Richmond vs Iowa Odds, Lines, and Spread (3:10 pm ET)
- Gonzaga vs Georgia State Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Marquette vs UNC Picks and Odds (4:30 pm ET)
- New Mexico State vs UConn Odds, Lines, and Spread (6:50 pm ET)
- Saint Peter’s vs Kentucky Odds and Picks (7:10 pm ET)
- Indiana vs Saint Mary’s Picks and Odds (7:20 pm ET)
- Creighton vs San Diego State Odds, Lines, and Spread (7:27 pm ET)
- Vermont vs Arkansas Odds and Picks (9:20 pm ET)
- San Francisco vs Murray State Picks and Odds (9:40 pm ET)
- Akron vs UCLA Odds, Lines, and Spread (9:50 pm ET)
- Texas Southern vs Kansas Odds and Picks (9:57 pm ET)
- East Region Odds — Baylor Earns Top Seed, Kentucky Favored
- Midwest Region Odds See Kansas Favored Over Auburn, Iowa and Wisconsin
- South Region Odds: Arizona +110 Favorites, Tennessee & Houston Sleepers
- West Regional Odds: Gonzaga Odds-On Favorite to Reach Final Four