- Texas is currently a 1.5-point favorite over Virginia Tech on Friday afternoon in an NCAA Round One Game
- The winner advances to play the winner of Purdue versus Yale in an East Region second round game
- A look at the Virginia Tech vs Texas odds and matchup can be found below with a prediction
Making its fifth tournament appearance in the last six years , Virginia Tech clashes against Texas in a Round One game at 4:30 p.m. ET, Friday, at Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This game will be shown on TBS.
Texas (21-11) is seeded sixth for this first-round tournament game from the East region. They are also ranked 25th in the nation despite losing three straight games to end the season including a conference tournament loss to TCU of all teams.
Virginia Tech vs Texas Odds
|Virginia Tech||+100||+1.5 (-110)||Over 123.5 (-110)|
|Texas||-120||-1.5 (-110)||Under 123.5 (-110)|
Odds as of March 17th at Caesars Sportsbook. See available Caesars Sportsbook promo codes.
Virginia Tech is located in Blacksburg, Virginia (23-12) is again making its fifth appearance in the Big Dance since 2017. The Hokies even upset Duke to win their conference tournament. Their last NCAA tournament win came in 2019 as the Hokies advanced to the Sweet 16.
The winner gets a date with either #3-seed Purdue or #14-seed Yale on Sunday. The Hokies are +2500 long shots in the East Region Final Four odds and are not expected to get very far. Texas is just +1250 in contrast.
Virginia Tech Betting Outlook
Virginia Tech has triumphed in five of its last seven games against the spread and is 19-16 overall against the number in 2021-22.
Senior forward Keve Aluma, paves the way for Virginia Tech with a 15.8 point-per-game average. He is also shooting 53.4% from the field and playing 30.8 minutes per game. Those minutes have been consistent as Aluma has played 30+ minutes in 11 of his last 12 starts.
Justyn Mutts versatility – along with Keve Aluma's consistency and Mike Young's positivity – helped the #Hokies turn around their season and reach the NCAAs.
“He can do everything and it’s fun to see. And it’s really, really fun to play with.”https://t.co/Ca8OuQNypS
— Mike Barber (@RTD_MikeBarber) March 14, 2022
Against Duke, Aluma continued his consistent play with 19 points despite attempting just eight shots. He went 6-for-9 from the foul line as the Hokies upset the Blue Devils to win the ACC Conference Tournament.
Aluma scored at least 18 points in all four tournament games which included ten rebounds and seven assists versus Duke.
The victory in the ACC championship game was aided by Virginia Tech’s persistence and pressure of the Blue Devils. They found ways to win including a one-point win against Clemson which arguably should have been a loss.
It was all about that balance as the Hokies ran away from North Carolina in the semifinals to win by 13. Then, they did the unthinkable beating Duke by 15 on a neutral court.
The senior small forward play for Virginia Tech is something to look at for the Hokies. New Jersey native Justin Mytts can play almost any position when needed.
Storm Murphy knows the moment he knew Virginia Tech would finish off Duke in the ACC championship game on Saturday night. It came with 2:27 to play, when Justyn Mutts threw down a vicious, two-handed dunk over Paolo Banchero, then… https://t.co/MRXaPNzu8U
— The Star-Exponent (@CulpeperSE) March 14, 2022
Mutts just plays the game hard. It sounds cliche but the forward can play any position and can almost be a post up or point-forward depending on the situation. He only had six points in the conference final of the ACC Tournament. However, the Clemson and Notre Dame games saw Mutts carry the Hokies defensively with ten rebounds in each game. He had five blocks in those two games also.
Texas Betting Outlook
Texas has seen its fortunes slide a bit as they lost three games to end the season while dropping six straight games against the spread. Considering how low the spread is (-1.5) for the contest on Friday and there has to be concern.
The Longhorns are led by their “senior five”. The two forwards and three guards are not outstanding by themselves but each have stepped up at times throughout the season. Their leading scorer is Timmy Allen who average 12.3 points and 6.5 rebounds per game this season.
All-Big 12 Second Team:
⁰Adam Flagler, Baylor (Jr., G)
Christian Braun, Kansas, (Jr. G)⁰⁰Mike Miles Jr., TCU (So., G)
⁰Timmy Allen, Texas (Sr., F)
⁰Taz Sherman, West Virginia (Sr., G)
— Chris Lilly (@ChrisLilly_) March 7, 2022
Timmy Allen went for 16 and 9 against TCU in a losing effort during the opening round of the Big 12 Conference Tournament. The forward scored 15 or more points in five of the last nine starts.
After that this is where things become a bit problematic for Texas. They were getting clutch efforts earlier in the season but the three-game losing streak saw them fail late in each contest. Even the games against Baylor and Kansas were winnable until near the end.
The fact that their two senior guards barely manage double digits per contest is troubling. What may be worse is this. Texas shot 40.7% or worse in five of their final six games. From three-point range, they shot a solid 36.4% in their final two games (22 attempts each) but were just 57% from the foul line against TCU.
Texas could not hold an 18-point lead in this game as the perimeter shooting went cold and the turnovers mounted. When TCU started to play more of a pressing style, the Longhorns and their “senior five” wilted in the pressure.
It is that second half which may speak volumes on Friday.
A comeback for the ages. Down 18 in the second-half, #TCU defeats the Texas Longhorns 65-60. Horned Frogs advance to the semi-finals of the #Big12Tournament for only the second-time in the program's history.🤞🏀#CollegeBasketball #MarchMadness #Big12MBB #NCAABasketball pic.twitter.com/h4b7FCIrlP
— BasketballBuzz.ca 🇨🇦🏀🍁 (@basketballbuzz) March 10, 2022
Allen and the guards are capable of getting hot but the problem is they can get cold just as quickly.
Virginia Tech vs Texas Prediction
The game will likely be close throughout as pace of play should be relatively even.
However, Virginia Tech has the ability to close games out and that makes the difference on Friday afternoon. The best March Madness betting strategy here is to lay the points with the Hokies.
The Pick: Virginia Tech -1.5 (-110)
Other March Madness Content
First Round Game Previews (Friday)
- Loyola Chicago vs Ohio State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Jacksonville State vs Auburn Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Montana State vs Texas Tech Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Yale vs Purdue Picks and Odds (2:00 pm ET)
- Delaware vs Villanova Odds, Lines and Spread (2:45 pm ET)
- Miami vs USC Odds and Picks (3:10pm ET)
- Notre Dame vs Alabama Picks and Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Chattanooga vs Illinois Odds and Picks (6:30 pm ET)
- Cal State Fullerton vs Duke Picks and Odds (7:10 pm ET)
- Iowa State vs LSU Odds, Lines and Spread (7:20 pm ET)
- Wright State vs Arizona Prediction (7:27 pm ET)
- UAB vs Houston Picks and Odds (9:20pm ET)
- Davidson vs Michigan State Odds, Lines and Spread (9:40 pm ET)
- Colgate vs Wisconsin Odds and Picks (9:50 pm ET)
- TCU vs Seton Hall Picks and Odds (9:57 PM ET)
First Round Game Previews (Thursday)
- Michigan vs Colorado State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Providence vs South Dakota State Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Memphis vs Boise State Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Norfolk State vs Baylor Odds and Picks (2:00 pm ET)
- Longwood vs Tennessee Picks and Odds (2:45 pm ET)
- Richmond vs Iowa Odds, Lines, and Spread (3:10 pm ET)
- Gonzaga vs Georgia State Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Marquette vs UNC Picks and Odds (4:30 pm ET)
- New Mexico State vs UConn Odds, Lines, and Spread (6:50 pm ET)
- Saint Peter’s vs Kentucky Odds and Picks (7:10 pm ET)
- Indiana vs Saint Mary’s Picks and Odds (7:20 pm ET)
- Creighton vs San Diego State Odds, Lines, and Spread (7:27 pm ET)
- Vermont vs Arkansas Odds and Picks (9:20 pm ET)
- San Francisco vs Murray State Picks and Odds (9:40 pm ET)
- Akron vs UCLA Odds, Lines, and Spread (9:50 pm ET)
- Texas Southern vs Kansas Odds and Picks (9:57 pm ET)
- East Region Odds — Baylor Earns Top Seed, Kentucky Favored
- Midwest Region Odds See Kansas Favored Over Auburn, Iowa and Wisconsin
- South Region Odds: Arizona +110 Favorites, Tennessee & Houston Sleepers
- West Regional Odds: Gonzaga Odds-On Favorite to Reach Final Four