- Daenerys Targaryen is the favorite to be deemed Azor Ahai by Melisandre or another Red Priestess
- Daenerys fits most of the prophecy’s criteria, but so does Jon Snow
- Who is more likely to be the Prince/Princess that was promised?
Game of Thrones is full of prophecies and one of the most heavily anticipated reveals heading into Season 8, is who will be recognized as Azor Ahai or the Prince/Princess that was promised?
Who Will Melisandre or a Red Priestess Last Claim to Be Azor Ahai or the Prince/Princess that was Promised?
*Odds taken on 04/09/19
For those who don’t spend their free time researching the mythology of Essos, Azor Ahai was the Lord of Light’s chosen hero, who forged the sword Lightbringer to defeat the Others and end the Long Night.
Azor Ahai/Last Hero escaping from some Northern Ice Spiders pic.twitter.com/Yzp5iMssd3
— ToaEcro (@AmericaManUSA01) May 13, 2015
According to ancient prophecies, he (or she) will be reborn one day to save the world in the hour of its greatest need. With the Army of the Dead marching towards Winterfell, the Seven Kingdoms needs a hero now more than ever.
Cross the Bottom Three Contenders Off the List
In the books, Melisandre says when the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai will be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone. If the show chooses to honor that proclamation, and there’s no reason to think it won’t, we can safely eliminate Tyrion, Gendry and Davos. None of those three characters have a backstory that matches that description, which leaves only Jon and Daenerys, aka the Mother of Dragons, as viable options.
i miss when she would say dracarys the valyrian way pic.twitter.com/8yYp1ljded
— osha (@oshawildling) April 8, 2019
The Case for Jon Snow
Jon was born in the Tower of Joy, beside the bloody sword of Ser Arthur Dayne. That sword is known to be forged from a fallen comet, so it can be argued that he was born next to a red star, while the salt water tears streamed down his mother Lyanna’s face.
He’ll never wake dragons out of stone, but now that we know he’s half Targaryen, it’s only a matter of time before he hops aboard Rhaegal and rides the great beast into battle.
The Case for Daenerys
She’s the only person in centuries to bring life to dragons, hatching three eggs out of stone, while a red comet soared overhead.
She was born on Dragonstone, a volcanic island surrounded by sea salt, and her dragons will be the great equalizer in the Wars to come.
Without Daenerys’ army, and more importantly her dragons, Jon and his followers would be slaughtered by the Night King. She’s the only character capable of destroying the Army of the Dead, and I look forward to her wiping them and eventually Cersei off the board.
Pick: Daenerys (-130)
Our Other Game of Thrones Season 8 Coverage:
- Yara Favored to be First Greyjoy to Perish in Game of Thrones Season 8
- Odds Say Arya Will be the First Stark to Perish in Season 8 of Game of Thrones
- Odds to Be Dead at the End of Game of Thrones Season 8: Jon Snow Favored to Survive; Odds Split on Daenerys
- The Mountain Favored to Die Before The Hound in Game of Thrones
- Arya Stark Props: Odds Say Arya Won’t Complete Her Kill List in Season 8 of GoT
- Cersei Lannister Season 8 Props: Odds Say She is Pregnant, Will Be Killed by Arya
- Odds Say Bran Stark is Not the Night King in Game of Thrones
- Game of Thrones Odds: Jon Snow Listed as Favorite to Kill the Ice Dragon
- Head-to-Head Odds to Perish 1st in Game of Thrones Season 8
- Jon Snow or Bran Stark? Odds to Rule Westeros at End of Game of Thrones Season 8
- Yara Greyjoy Favored to Perish First in Game of Thrones Season 8
- Cersei Favored to be First Lannister to Perish in Season 8 of Game of Thrones
- You Can Bet on the First & Last Person to Speak in Season 8 of Game of Thrones
- Odds Say Rhaegal Will Be First Dragon to Perish in Season 8 of Game of Thrones
- Over/Under Number of People Arya Stark Kills in Season 8 Set at 3.5; Odds Say Cersei is First
- You Can Bet on What Bran Stark Will Warg into Next in Game of Thrones Season 8
- Odds Say the Night King Will Be Confirmed as a Stark in Season 8 Game of Thrones