- Providence is a 2.5-point favorite over Richmond in an NCAA Tournament second-round game Saturday
- Richmond is on a five-game winning streak after upsetting Iowa
- A look at the Richmond vs Providence odds and matchup can be found below with a pick
#12 seed Richmond will look to pull another upset when it faces #4 Providence in a Midwest Region second round game Saturday at KeyBank Center in Buffalo at 6:10 pm ET.
Richmond (25-12) knocked off #5 Iowa 67-63 on Friday in a first-round game as the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament champion ran its winning streak to five games.
Also Friday, Providence (26-5) downed South Dakota State 66-57 in the first round, ending the Jackrabbits’ 21-game winning streak. The Friars have split their last four games after winning 12 of 13.
Saturday’s winner advances to the regional semifinals in Chicago on March 25 in the March Madness bracket.
Richmond vs Providence Odds
|Richmond||+125||+2.5 (-109)||Over 133.5 (-113)|
|Providence||-148||-2.5 (-110)||Under 133.5 (-108)|
Providence is a 2.5-point favorite in a game that will be broadcast by TruTV. As -148 moneyline picks, the Friars have a 59.68% win probability.
Richmond Betting Outlook
Richmond has been the winning side against the number in four straight games and is 17-18-1 ATS for the season.
Senior guard Jacob Gilyard had a big game offensively for Richmond while the Spiders’ defense shut down Iowa’s potent offense. The Hawkeyes shot 36.4% (24 of 66) overall and knocked down just 6 of 29 (20.7%) three-point tries.
— NCAA March Madness (@MarchMadnessMBB) March 17, 2022
Iowa entered the game fourth nationally in scoring at 83.8 points per game. Thursday’s output was the Hawkeyes’ third-lowest of the season.
Gilyard finished with 24 points, six rebounds and six assists. Oddly, he did not have any steals despite leading the nation with an average of 3.0 a game.
Gilyard is scoring 14.4 points and dishing 5.4 assists a game. He has scored at least 20 points five times this season, including twice in the last three games.
Junior forward Tyler Burton recorded his 11th double-double and second in a row as he had 18 points, 11 rebounds and three steals. Burton has scored in double figures in five consecutive games and 13 of 14.
He tops Richmond in both scoring and rebounding with 16.4 points and 7.8 boards a game.
— NCAA March Madness (@MarchMadnessMBB) March 17, 2022
Senior forward Nathan Cayo chipped in with 15 points in Richmond’s first game in the Big Dance since 2011.
Senior forward Grant Golden is stuffing the stat columns with 13.8 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists a game.
Providence Betting Outlook
Providence is a profitable 18-13 against the spread this season after covering as a 2.5-point favorite against South Dakota State.
While senior forward Noah Horchler and senior guard Al Durham scored 13 points each to share scoring honors for Providence, defense carried the day.
Noah Horchler… BANG
— Barstool Bench Mob (@stoolbenchmob) March 17, 2022
South Dakota State came into the game averaging 86.7 points a game, the second-best mark in the nation, but the Friars held the Jackrabbits to 38.6% (22 of 57), including 7 of 23 (30.4%) on three-point attempts. South Dakota State’s 44.9% season mark from long range was the best in Division I in 26 years.
Horchler added nine rebounds for Providence, which shot just 39.3% (24 of 61). Durham had eight rebounds and six assists.
Durham has scored in double figures in six of his last seven games and 15 of 16. He is averaging 13.3 points and 3.4 assists.
Junior guard Eric Bynum had 12 points, right in line with his 12.7 scoring average. He is also dishing 4.1 assists per game.
— H A W K (@shadHAWKey) March 17, 2022
Senior center Nate Watson, Providence’s leading scorer at 13.6 points a game, was limited to six points on 3-of-7 shooting after scoring just five points in the Friars’ loss to Creighton in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament. He is also averaging 5.4 rebounds.
Senior forward Ed Croswell managed two points in 15 minutes off the bench but contributed nine rebounds and four steals.
Of Providence’s 26 wins in 2021-22, 16 have been by single digits.
Providence vs Richmond Prediction
Providence has won three straight games against Richmond, but the last victory came during the 2003-04 season, 57-56 on the road. Look for this game to be close, too, which gives an edge to the Spiders and the nine seniors on their roster.
The Pick: Richmond +2.5 (-109)
Other March Madness Content
Second Round Game Previews (Saturday)
- Baylor vs UNC Odds, Lines and Spread (12:10 pm ET)
- Kansas vs Creighton Odds, Lines, and Spread (2:40 am ET)
- Michigan vs Tennessee Odds and Picks (5:15 pm ET)
- UCLA vs Saint Mary’s Odds and Picks (7:10 pm ET)
- Saint Peter’s vs Murray State Odds, Lines, and Spread (7:45 pm ET)
- New Mexico State vs Arkansas Picks and Odds (8:40 pm ET)
- Gonzaga vs Memphis Odds and Picks (9:40 pm ET)
First Round Game Previews (Friday)
- Loyola Chicago vs Ohio State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Jacksonville State vs Auburn Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Montana State vs Texas Tech Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Yale vs Purdue Picks and Odds (2:00 pm ET)
- Delaware vs Villanova Odds, Lines and Spread (2:45 pm ET)
- Miami vs USC Odds and Picks (3:10pm ET)
- Notre Dame vs Alabama Picks and Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Virginia Tech vs Texas Odds, Lines and Spread (4:30 pm ET)
- Chattanooga vs Illinois Odds and Picks (6:30 pm ET)
- Cal State Fullerton vs Duke Picks and Odds (7:10 pm ET)
- Iowa State vs LSU Odds, Lines and Spread (7:20 pm ET)
- Wright State vs Arizona Prediction (7:27 pm ET)
- UAB vs Houston Picks and Odds (9:20pm ET)
- Davidson vs Michigan State Odds, Lines and Spread (9:40 pm ET)
- Colgate vs Wisconsin Odds and Picks (9:50 pm ET)
- East Region Odds — Baylor Earns Top Seed, Kentucky Favored
- Midwest Region Odds See Kansas Favored Over Auburn, Iowa and Wisconsin
- South Region Odds: Arizona +110 Favorites, Tennessee & Houston Sleepers
- West Regional Odds: Gonzaga Odds-On Favorite to Reach Final Four