August marks the beginning of the end of summer. Though the thermometer will soon be dropping, the start of fall is a hot time in fashion and you might find yourself considering an entire new wardrobe. But hold your sartorial horses for just one second. We’ve been watching the runways and have a pretty good idea of which summer trends are going to stick around for at least one more season!
So don’t go tossing all your summer garms just yet, friends. First, take a look at our odds on which trends are most likely to stay in style.
Summer/Fall Fashion Trend Odds:
1. Boho Hats: These hats were a big deal this summer and fall is sure to provide enough sunshine to justify their continued prominence. Since boho hats are generally made of suede, they’re not limited to being beachwear. This hat is a keeper and, if you haven’t invested in one, we suggest that you do it soon!
Odds of boho hats surviving into fall: 1/9.
2. Knee-length Tea Skirts: The knee-length tea skirt was first introduced in the spring of 2015; it will continue its transformation from summer into fall. You can expect both pencil and flare cuts in darker tones to be paired with sweaters and collared shirts.
Odds of knee-length tea skirts surviving into fall: 1/9.
3. Fringe: One of the defining fashion trends of the summer was 70s boho-chic fringe, which we saw on a lot of different garments. While fringe will slowly shift out of style, it will take some time and the boho inspiration will remain in fall fashions. So be sure to keep those fringe purses and shoes; they will serve as great transition pieces. As for other detailing to watch for, expect to see a lot of fur as the temperature cools!
Odds of fringe surviving into fall: 1/3.
4. Ripped Jeans (and a Whole Lotta Leg!): Ripped jeans got a little out of control this summer with holes that extended from upper thigh to knee. While ripped jeans will still be around for the fall, expect a much more conservative version than the one we saw this summer. We suggest you ditch the extremes!
Odds of extensively ripped jeans surviving into fall: 2/1.
5. Nude Makeup: While nude and natural makeup was the summer look, it’s not one that we expect to carry over into fall. If the runways of Paris have taught us anything about fall makeup, it’s that we can expect drama from the eyes! This means strong eyebrows, darker shadows, and smokey eyes.
Odds of nude makeup surviving into fall: 4/1.
(Photo credit: Caroline Bonarde Ucci [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons. Photo has been cropped.)
Let's have fun and keep it civil.